starter cable woes!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter cable woes!!!!!!!!

this is probably one of the simplest questions asked but........
    i have a 1978 gs 750 sitting on the back of my project sand rail.there is no wiring harness.i have my stator wires hooked up to the regulator.the regulator also has a red wire that runs to the battery +.......ok......the regulator is grounded to metal and the battery -....now for the other side.....i have a dyna s ignition....the battery +runs to the dyna hot wire.the coil hot taps into this same wire....(i use to have a toggle switched on off for the ignition and a push button for the starter but im trouble shooting so i disconnected them)anyway,heres my troubles.....the motor runs awsome when it runs.....if i hook the power up to the ignition to live'n the coils and touch the starter wire to the battery,my project runs like new(idels and revs perfect),but has the starter still spinning..if i take the starter wire off of battery,the motor quits.....does this make sense to anyone?i was told the toggle and push button i had wernt the right amps.it use to be id turn the toggle on and hit the starter button and she fire right up,but you had to hold the button in order to keep the motor running so i had rid them and went straight to 12+.i thought the starter only had to spin enough to start the motor and that was that.why would the motor run fine with the starter wire hooked up to the battery+ but die when you take it off?so fustrating here...id run my machine with the starter spinning but how fun would that be to change a starter all the time?can you guys please help me out in my problems?thanks for your time,mike...

In a 'normal' situation (sitting in a bike), the starter gets its power from the battery through a relay. This relay is usually called a solenoid for some reason. The solenoid has a large wire that goes to the battery +, another large wire that goes to the starter motor, and a small wire that should go to your push button. The push button's other wire should go to battery +, also. When you push the button, you energize the coil inside the solenoid, which connects the two heavy-duty contacts, sending battery power to the starter.

Is it possible that you have your Dyna and/or coils connected to the starter side of the solenoid? Try moving them to the battery side, it should work better. Your toggle switch for ignition control should go between the battery (whether it's straight from the battery or the starter solenoid) and the coils. That will allow you to kill the engine as needed.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

got rid of the silonoid,toggle and push button and run ign. wire to 12+...then touch starter wire to battery + to start.runs good as long as starter wire is touching +.if i take it off,motor dies.am i needing to create a draw of some sort?doesnt make a lick of sense.thanks for your input,mike..

Comment

I think you need to do a diagram of your complete hookup. One thing to check are your ground connections. Is the battery ground connected to the frame and the motor? Ditto for the coil and regulator.

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X