Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork Tubes from 1980 750 fit on 1979 750 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Tubes from 1980 750 fit on 1979 750 ?

I need to change fork tubes and ebay has a used set and triple clamps. See auction links below:

FORKS = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10066

TRIPLE CLAMP = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10066

Will these mount up to 1979 GS750LN without serious modification and will this change the bolt, washer, spacer (stack up) aspect of mounting front wheel ?

Has anyone heard of doing this modification?

Thanks,

Louie

I think you'll be OK. Only possible difference would be if your bike has a leading axle design like the 1980 or not for the front wheel assembly.

Comment

They will fit! 8)

Comment

Re: Fork Tubes from 1980 750 fit on 1979 750 ?

I have a 79 750E with a single front disk and a 81 750E with a double front disk. The fork tubes are the same diameter. The spacing between the tubes is wider for the double disk model than it is for the single disk model.
        Also, the triple trees for my two years use differenct bearing sizes in the steering stem. I am not sure, but I believe 1980 was the starting year for switching to the smaller stem bearings. It would probably be most simple to retain your original triple trees and just slip the new fork tubes into those trees (they will fit just fine). That way you will be all set to retain the original braking setup and the stackup will be unchanged, You will not be able to add double disk brakes using tree spacing for a single disk setup.
        You will be able to change from a double disk setup to a single by swapping out the stackup. I've been there, it'll work out just fine. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by ageekapc
        I need to change fork tubes and ebay has a used set and triple clamps. See auction links below:

FORKS = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10066

TRIPLE CLAMP = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10066

Will these mount up to 1979 GS750LN without serious modification and will this change the bolt, washer, spacer (stack up) aspect of mounting front wheel ?

Has anyone heard of doing this modification?

Thanks,

Louie
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Are the "L" model forks longer than the "E" model forks? They always looked longer, but it may just be the style of the bike.

Comment

Both my 750's are E models so I have not measured fork tube length on an L model. I am reasonably sure the fork tubes are the same length for both models but I have not verified that by measurement.

Earl

Originally posted by rphillips
            Are the "L" model forks longer than the "E" model forks? They always looked longer, but it may just be the style of the bike.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The front fender will not fit. Keep in mind the axle will be ahead of the forks on the "L" units. Therefore, the fender will be different, as the mounting holes won't line up correctly. If you get a fender for the "L" model, everything else will fit just fine.

Nick

Comment

Sounds Like

Well it sounds like yall are telling me to go ahead and get them. Since I have an L model dual disk, dual caliper, with fender already these tubes should slip right into my original triple trees.

Now if someone would confirm if they are longer than mine.

Louiw

Comment

Fork Tube Dilemma

Louie:

Not sure if you've made your bid yet, but consider this. I had to replace the fork tubes on my 79 GS750LN because they were badly pitted. I spent several months trying to find replacements for them in salvage yards with no luck. :? In 1979, they used 37mm diameter tubes, and that appears to be the only model that used that size. Just beware that what you are buying may not fit directly into your existing tripple clamps. Of course, for twenty-five bucks, you can't lose.

I finally replaced my fork tubes with a set from "Forking By Frank" http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/ He manufactures OEM replacement as well as custom fork tubes for just about anything with two wheels. I think they cost around $200 for the pair, and he guarantees the chrome against pitting and chipping for life. 8)

My next problem came with the fork seals. I bought a pair of Leak-Proof seals, but they were the wrong size for my bike. I spent some time on the phone with them, and they cross referenced several other manufactures and told me that all of the manufacturers called for the same size seal. The OEM seal was 48mm OD x 37mm ID x 11mm tall. The one recommended by all aftermarket seal manufacturers was 50mm OD x 37mm ID x 11mm tall. The guy at Leak-Proof sent me two different seals to try. The one that finally matched the original was Leak Proof part number 7225.

Just beware that these forks may not be what they seem. Good luck.

Comment

Roger that

Thanks so much for the very informative reply.

Louie

Comment

Working...
                    X