Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Sticky' Clutch question - 1980 GS-850

Ok, this is my problem:

The clutch on this bike is VERY hard to manipulate - to the point of breaking cables & stalling the bike at intersections.

It's not STUCK mind you - it does operate...

But it almost takes a vice-grips on the clutch lever to make it work...

Any advice on how to 'free it up' - preferrably without taking the cover off?

Also, what's the best 'garage mechanic' ad-hoc clutch cable replacement? Bike cables work on the 450, but I don't see that working here...

Without going inside the cover about all you could do is check the cable. Disconnect it at the clutch end and see if it operates freely. If it doesn't you can try lubing it with a cable lube kit or going the shade tree route. The shade tree route is to clean it with PB Blaster or WD-40 and then lubing it with motor or gear oil. An OEM cable form BikeBandit is $18.00. You might find and aftermarket somewhere. I'm too lazy to look for them, plus it takes too much time to save a few bucks.

Comment

You need to dig into the clutch and make sure (1) plates/discs are not stuck together, (2) actuation linkage is in good nick, and (3) the clutch basket isn't all "groovy" so that plates/discs are binding. Also you may want to swap out for some lighter clutch springs.

All of this is really very easy. The clutch is one of the simplest systems to dismantle -- you don't even have to drain the oil if you put the bike on the sidestand.

Good luck.

Comment

Also keep in mind that, when cold, the clutch will drag a bit, especially if you have a thick oil. Have you changed your oil?

Also be sure your cable/lever are properly adjusted. The manual usually calls for something like 2mm of free play before resistance.

Comment

Oil is changed, and the clutch is sticky at the lever, not the cable...

Comment

Has it always been this way, or is this something that's just started. Maybe the previous owner installed heavier springs, a lot of people do that. If you tale them out, you won't be able to tell, as you don't have the stock springs to compare the to.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_A View Post
              Oil is changed, and the clutch is sticky at the lever, not the cable...
              Clutch drag on the 850's and other GS's seems to be inherent. It usually appears when the engine is cold and goes when it reaches running temperature. It can be reduced by running the recommended oil 10W40. If an engine is getting tired, running this grade will cause the engine to rattle when hot. Many members run 20W50 to reduce this, but that causes more clutch drag when the engine is cold.
              Suzuki re-designed the clutch rack on the later 850's to reduce the drag. On all 79 850's prior to GS850GN 109445 the clutch rack should be replaced with rack # 23165-45101.
              If the cable is free, your bike is probably fitted with HD clutch springs.
              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X