Rubber Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber Boots

I just bought a 1980 GS850GL, It needs some work but it runs, well sort of. When I started it up and gave it throttle (after letting it warm up) it backfires. My friend and I have taken the carbureator off and have started cleaning it thinking this might help the problem. The issue right now is when we took the Carb off one of the rubber boots from the engine to the carb was really loose and almost slid off just by taken the carb out. The Other thing we noticed was the rubber boots to the air filter are all loose but we were thinking some silcone would fix that issue and get a good seal there. My question is what should I do about the rubber boot from the engine to the carb? Should I replace it or just leave it be? Right now it definately is not getting a good seal.

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Rubber Boots

The rubber boots between the carbs and the cylinder head MUST be airtight. You will never get the engine to run right or be able to tune it decently if the boots leak, so fixing the problem is not optional.

Earl

[quote="Aallen"]
    My question is what should I do about the rubber boot from the engine to the carb? Should I replace it or just leave it be? Right now it definately is not getting a good seal.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

All the boots should seal out any air leaks. Leaking boots between the head & carb will cause poor runing, & unfiltered air going into the engine, leaking boots between the carb & air box can let unfiltered air into the carbs, & engine. probably won't affect runing, but you don't want unfiltered air going thru the engine. Do whatever it takes to seal all the connections, on all the boots.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the advice, is thre anything you can suggest to fix the problem? Should I get new boots or can I seal the ones I have someway?

Comment

Get new ones.

Nick

Comment

Get new ones.

Comment

Get new ones ...

Comment

Ditto....

Comment

New is best. Silicone is great for some applications, but I have more than one service manual that states to keep it away from carbs.

Comment

HiSPL said in one of his post that he used radiator hose to make boots and they have worked very well and were cheap. See the thread titled "Carb boots, way cheap", posted on Feb. 24.

Terry

Comment

Yes, my 850 has radiator hose instead of stock boots and it works excellent. I wouldn't consider originals as I don't beleive they would work any better. In fact I will buy another piece of hose for my second 850 also without thinking twice.

Comment

Working...
                      X