Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bouncy Front - How to convert "airless"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncy Front - How to convert "airless"?

My bikes front end/forks are giving me a headache (1980 GS1100E). It bounces when driving steady 45-70 kmh (30-60 mph) on a smooth surface. Its like the front tire is a square. Its really annoying. It also starts shaking when I exceed 150 kmh (90 mph). between that there is no major bouncing. Whats that supposed to mean!?!

Last fall I fixed the whole forks and replaced the fork oil with 50 % atf and 50 % 10w/30 motor oil like haynes suggests. I have also tried to add and release air to the forks but nothing helps. In my bike there is only one air valve on the left side of the forks and a really thin air hose between the forks. There are also two pointy headed screws which seal the fork air system after altering the pressure. No antidive.The springs seemed OK so I donīt know what to do next. This is the air vent assembly: http://alpha-sports.com/spst/1980%20GS1100E/50.gif

It could be that my front tire actually is a bit "square" but should it have such a major effect?

I hate screwing with the air vents and valves and stuff so is it possible for me to change that antiquated atf & motor oil mix to a real fork oil and forget adding air to my bike (and continue driving with the original springs for this summer)? What oil do you suggest for me to use and which viscosity? what about the quantity? My front fork lookes like this: http://alpha-sports.com/spst/1980%20GS1100E/21.gif

I also installed a fork brace but it didnīt make any difference. Is there a certain order on tightening bolts when reassebling the whole front end? Could someone please inform me in which order to do it? I have heard that the front axle bolt should be left last... Should there be any weight on the front end or should it be lifted from ground when tightening the bolts?

Please give me some pointers on converting my bikes front forks "airless" or at least trying to get the bounciness away? [-o<

Sounds like your front wheel is out of balance.

Comment

To convert to airless just buy progressive springs (do a google, Dennis Kirk has them) & stick them in, don't put any air in.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Pulukka View Post
        It could be that my front tire actually is a bit "square" but should it have such a major effect?[-o<
        Yep it sure would. Scared the crap outta me the first time I rode with a flat spot on my front tire. Progressive Springs are very nice, do a search on the forums for fork oil and preload to get an idea of the setups folks here are running for their weight and riding style. I weight 155 and have Progressives, 15 w and no preload. Love it.

Comment

Working...
        X