Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment

Hey guys and gals.
    Firstly I just want to say that my bike seems to be running great! The only thing is that I dont know how much engine noise is acceptable or good.
    I have heard about the need to occasionally adjust the valves. Would mal-adjusted valves make that noise. I expect to get some noise from the cam chain. But how much is "normal". I guess there is no real good way to tell someone how much noise but if you know what I mean can you provide some direction?
    I just want to make sure that I am not neglecting any service on my bike.

I'd do it...

If you don't know when (or if) it's been done, it would probably be a good idea to do it. It might save you a burned valve and a bunch of money in the future. There's a multitude of advice on the forum regarding this issue.:-|
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Excessive noise won't come from mal-adjusted valves, since as they wear the clearances become SMALLER. So they should be checked at regular intervals.

There's a certain amount of clatter that's very normal on these bikes.

Comment

My bike makes more noise after a valve adjusment.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the carbs are out of sync It will be noisey too.. Run the motor about 2K rpm then listen for noise

Comment

Thanks I will do that...

I have never done a valve adjustment. I wanted to change out the cover gasket anyway. (guessing the valve clearance is checked at the top).
            Not a lot of room there. Guess that means I will have to take the carbs off huh?? Not looking forward to that. It's running so darned good right now. Almost dont want to touch it. Just the noise bothers me. If it were a harley I wouldn't even hear it as the exhaust would drown out the noise. The PO kind of neglected the bike from a mechanical point of view so I am trying to cover all of the bases. When he sold it to me he did the carbs, oil change and a back tire.
            Chain and sprockets were in real bad shape. (found out after trying to adjust the chain. Real tight in place really loose in another.)
            So before I burn anything else out or make a bigger mess of things then they are. So I am wanting to check out everything.

Comment

Oh, no. Not an 1100E. I have heard they are nothing but trouble...:-D
              But seriously, all you have to do is unhook the fuel tank (fuel line, vacuum line, fuel gauge wire) and remove the tank. Of course, the seat and side covers should be removed first. Then you can remove the valve cover (and replace the gasket when reassembling). You will need to remove the ignition cover on the right side so you can rotate the crank to locate TDC. Then adjust according to your manual, be it Haynes, Clymer, or factory Suzuki. If you do not have one or more of these, buy one first. It is essential, and not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                Excessive noise won't come from mal-adjusted valves, since as they wear the clearances become SMALLER. So they should be checked at regular intervals.
                There's a certain amount of clatter that's very normal on these bikes.
                Although this is essentially correct (clearances get tighter as the valves wear), if the PO made the clearances too loose it could make noise. Thus I would check the valve clearances first, since you have to replace the valve cover gasket anyway. I would suspect the cam chain, but would proceed through all the possible alternatives, rather than eliminating anything right off the bat. IIRCC, you may be able to adjust the cam chain at the same time as you check your valve clearances. As far as normal noise, again, it will not be as quiet as a water cooled bike, but it should not sound like your lawn mover. Never make any assumptions when starting out on a bike of suspicious origins. Once you check out all the sources, document everything. Then you have a baseline on which to start. Just an FYI.

Comment

New question??? The cam chain isn't adjustable, is it???
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It's not on mine... not 100% on yours.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cam chain tension is performed by an automatic tensioner - spring loaded. Sometimes the mechanism jambs thus allowing excessive slack to develop in the chain. Check the GSR home page for a link to an excellent tutorial on how to rebuild the tensioner - you can use this same info to check yours.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X