I think I broke it pretty good this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I broke it pretty good this time

Okay, I'm pretty new to both this site and to riding as a whole, but you guys seem to be the most definitive source around for info so here it goes. I just traded up to an '80 GS 1100 L. I had the bike for a couple of months and it ran great, a little high on the idle side but ran well. I washed it one day and after I dried it off, there was gas dripping out of the #2 carb pod filter. I knew the carbs could use a rebuild so I just decided pull them and clean them out. I've done this with a full dip and yes they were pretty nasty. During this time I think I figured out that the dripping gas was from the petcock being on prime. I tested the p/c and that works fine so now after I've put everything back together, that stopped the leak. The problem now is that it runs like s**t. There is smoke coming out of both pipes and it is backfiring alot. I also have to keep the idle around 3K or it will die out. I've been reading alot now thinking that it may be the timing or the valve adjustments, but it ran fine before I took the carburetors off. What could it be? I have done a bench sync for the carbs but not a vacuum sync yet. I still have to buy a tool. but could the smoke and popping be from just the vacuum pressure being a little off? Anyone near phoenix that has a carb sync tool? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Do you have a leak on the inlet side? Backfiring etc could be a symptom of that... (it could be running lean).

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I'm good there. I dead sure about the air filters, and the boots from the carbs to the intake are good. The only thing could be that the clamps for the boots are a bit stretched. They don't tighten until they are tight, just until the ends meet up and can't tighten any more. Could this be it? I've tried the carb cleaner test around the boots and didn't get anything as far as it lowering the idle but I've read that this doesn't always work.

Comment

Got to be a carb problem. You must mean smoke from running rich, carb work can't cause oil smoke. Valve adjustment didn't change by removing carbs, & timing won't change, as it is preset at the factory & not adjustable, (without modifications). How far did you take the carbs apart? If running reasonable before, just a dip & blowing out with air should be fine, no reason to fool with sync. Are you sure you got everything back together, exactly as it came apart?? Air leaks can make it run rough, but I don't think an air leak can cause smoke.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Recheck the carb sync, Every thing is based on #3 carb If it is partly open It could screw up adjustments & idle. Are the plugs Black ?
          The BS carbs can be a Bitch!! very sensitive to any vacuum leaks/ blocked jets/ float level

Comment

In a nutshell, the purpose of a bench synch is to be able to start the engine so you can then do an actual carb synch. The bike is running like crap because the carbs are so far out of adjustment, the engine cant run any other way. :-) Vacuum synch is the only way to correct it.

E.

[quote=Ironhorse
            ........ but it ran fine before I took the carburetors off. What could it be? I have done a bench sync for the carbs but not a vacuum sync yet. I still have to buy a tool.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse1980 View Post
              During this time I think I figured out that the dripping gas was from the petcock being on prime. .

You will also want to check for gas in your oil.

Comment

Ok, got the oil changed and it did smell a bit like gas. Could my oil just have gotten thinned out by the gas and cause the leaks and smoke?? Now I'm in the market for a sync tool, but like everyone else I would like to get the best value at the lowest price. Right now I'm looking at a set of vac gauges. Question is.... can I sync them with a 2 guage set up or would I need to get the full 4 gauge one? Do these come with the right attachments to hook up to the GS? These screw into the intake manifold on the engine where there are just bolts in right now, correct?

These are the gauges I'm looking at.

Comment

WAY too much hassle to do it with a two-gauge set. This is more of what you need. The ad says it needs mercury. No problem. If you win the auction, let me know, I can supply you with mercury for the price of shipping.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bret beat me to it. I'd think it's definitely symptomatic of gas in the oil. Especially since you mentioned that you left the fuel tap on prime.

Though, since you went ahead with the carb rebuild, it's definitely going to need a sync.

Brad bt

Comment

Whoo hooo!! I just won a set of mercury sticks off ebay. I should be able to get it running much smoother really soon. Then I'll be back with a whole new set of questions. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X