Tires forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires forum

Being new to motorcyles in general, I don't know much about tires.

I was wondering if I could start a thread on tires. I am looking to purchase a new set of tires soon (this season) and would like to know more about tires, brands, types, etc. I have read much on the subject, but the focus seams a little fuzzy. I just wanted to know what the most trusted brand(s) are and what styles people ride. FTR, I have a 82 GS650GL.

Maybe tire installation could be discussed as well. Can you do it yourself? Do you need special tools?

Thanks for the input.

With a request as broad as what you are asking for, you are going to get a broad set of answers. Everyone is going to tell you their opinion about what tire is best, but honestly, what it comes down to is what you are comfortable paying. Of course how you ride, when you ride, and where you ride will all play significantly in the tire that is best for you. As far as mounting, there have been plenty of posts on this in the past and there have even been reviews written on tools for doing the work. IF you want to mount the tires yourself, do a search on that. Otherwise, go to a couple of local motorcycle shops and get their recommendations, and have them quote you with installation. It'll save a lot of headache (and personal opinion BS) in the end.

Comment

When you say "read much on the subject", do you mean using the search function on this website? Type in "Tires Brand" and you will get pages of threads that should answer every question you have. It's all there.

You could start a new thread on tires, but you will get the same type of scattered information, only without having to use the search function. Problem is, you will also miss a lot of the previous information.

Barring that, posting specific questions is helpful. A focused question is the only way to get focused information, and even that doesn't usually work around here.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2007, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Use the search feature on here....there must be hundreds and hundreds
        of threads on tire/tyres.

There's one now in the discussion forum.

Drepending on how you ride and what you ride will determine what band/model of tire.
        There is no set answer. My GS, I use Dunlop GT501 tires.

My Triumph uses a radials, so each one is different.

Take your time with the search feature, make a pot of coffee, clean your gallses and sit back and read.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

What are gallses???? Mine may need cleaning. Can I clean them while I'm cleaning my glasses
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I reccomend either Metzeler Lasertec tires if you have bucks or go with Pirelli Sport Demons to save about $20 a tire.

Go with a 100/90/V19 for the front, assuming you have a 19" front.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
              Being new to motorcyles in general, I don't know much about tires.

I was wondering if I could start a thread on tires. I am looking to purchase a new set of tires soon (this season) and would like to know more about tires, brands, types, etc. I have read much on the subject, but the focus seams a little fuzzy. I just wanted to know what the most trusted brand(s) are and what styles people ride. FTR, I have a 82 GS650GL.

Maybe tire installation could be discussed as well. Can you do it yourself? Do you need special tools?

Thanks for the input.
              Hmm yeah a bit too broad. Check out some online retailers and get a feel for the price you wanna spend and then ask again. I would suspect, based on your motorcycle, that longevity will be more important to you than outright performance, so you will find you can get away with a less expensive tire. Many people in this area riding bikes like yours buy Bridgestone S11 Spitfires, and I think this would be a good tire for your bike.

As for installation, yes you can do it yourself, and yes you need special tools. You need to be able to break the bead, and installing a tire without a machine, while certainly possible, is quite a challenge until you get the hang of it. Even then, I've seen people with many years of experience struggle with certain tire brands. I would suggest you are better off paying the $25 per tire to have them mounted and balanced.

Comment

I'd say that you'd be best off buying your first few sets of tires at a local shop and letting them mount and balance them. There's enough stuff to learn as it is.

For performance and value per dollar, it's hard to beat the Cheng Shin HiMax. I've put a lot of happy, hard-riding miles on these. (Stay away from the Cheng Shin Barracuda or Marquis, though.)

If money isn't a huge concern, the Dunlop 501 will give you excellent handling and mileage. Probably about the best all-around recommendation if it's available in your sizes.

For all-out red-eyed slobbering corner maniac performance, the Pirelli Sport Demon is tops in grip and feel. Pure magic, really. They don't tend to last quite as long, though.

Metzelers are also excellent, although they are mighty expensive.

You can't go far wrong -- just about any tire made today will be far better in every way than anything available in the early '80s.
                Last edited by bwringer; 04-26-2007, 12:57 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys, I know the topic may have been a little broad, but what you have said so far is perfect. I'll check out my options and see what I can come up with. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X