Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murphy is my nemesis

So everything was going so well...

Took my head off and cleaned it all up real good...new gasket, very careful. All the bolts back on and in the correct order and torqued them down carefully. Replaced the cams, tried to put cover on...no dice. That long plastic arm up front was in backwards. Took cams off and put the arm in the right way, re-timed the bike. Now the chain was pretty tight but I went for it anyways, got the intake cam in alright but as I was tightening down the other cam...

...I exploded a shim. Metal pieces went flying everywhere. Upon inspection I find that the top of the shim blew up, and the sides of it are jammed down into the valve. Now the valve is stuck open, can't get it to move at all.

What's my next step? I think I probably took a nick out of my cam as well. What did I do for this to happen? I've had the cams off before but never the head, I'm sure it was soemthing I overlooked but I don't know what. Is a new head in my future?

Thanks,

Max

I take it there was a lobe in an opened position above the valve when this happened? I have never heard of this happening, but I wonder if that valve contacted a piston at TDC while you were tightening down the cam. If you haven't changed anything, see where that piston is (thru spark plug hole).

That would bend the valve, and explain why it won't close... not that that's good news.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I would bet the cam was out of time & you tightened it until it had no choice but to break, probably bend a valve

Comment

Untill you pull the head and get the bit's out you won't know. I would suggest that it's unlikley that the head is shot. You may have damaged the valve seat, valve or the bucket with the shim. It will be hard with a valve compessor tool to get the colletts out and drop the valve and spring to get those peice's out.

You have, to my knowledge, no other way of going.

I'd check that I didn't swap the cams when bolting them in or I had pinched the chain when timing the engine up with the cams out of the bike hence the chain being tight.

Also be aware that you may have tried tightening the cam down with a bucket that had moved out of place forcing down on the valve spring so it's now jamed in the spring.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
        1983 GS(X)1100ESD
        2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Working...
        X