Removing Front Wheel - Need Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Front Wheel - Need Ideas

I just ordered new front and rear tires for my 1981 Suzuki GS550T. I plan to remove the front and rear wheels and take them to a local bike shop and have them put my new tires on. I figured this would save me some money. I can remove the back easily with the bike on the centerstand. How can I remove the front wheel easiest? I don't know how I can "prop" up the front end to take the wheel off. Can I use something to support the engine with to get the front end off the ground? If so, what? Anybody got any ideas?

On my 850 I tilted it back towards the rear wheel, and placed a steel toolbox under the exhaust headers. Not too much pressure on the headers because of the center-stand, but it balanced quite well there.

Comment

I've done this a few times... I've put a jack under the headers with a 2 by 4 to soften the lift.

I've also just strapped it to the garage rafters and lifted the front end just enough to get it up off the ground.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Scissor lift jack or any other type of jack to lift it will do!

Don't put an axle stand straight to the engine though.

I get the wife to come out into the garage and lean against the back of the bike while I put 2 axle stands under the frame just to the side of the engine. Works a treat with the centre stand and rear wheel on the ground.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
        1983 GS(X)1100ESD
        GSF1200K1

Comment

Best solution is to get a second rear wheel and a second front wheel, and install a brand new tire on each. That way you remove one wheel and immediately replace it with another -- off with one, on with the other.

At this time I have a brand new front tire in my garage, installed on a front wheel. Same for the rear. No downtime necessary.

Wheels are commonly available on eBay and other places.

Comment

Be aware that many shops charge a lot to mount a tire you bought elsewhere and nothing or very little to mount one you got from them. Sometimes it's not much of a cost savings.

Regardless, removing the wheels yourself and bringing them in to the shop is the best way to go. I like Grandpa's idea. It's what I do for our cars for snow tires. I got cheap used steel rims for the winter. Don't know why I never thought of it for the bike.

Comment

Oh, well!

When I changed my front tire, I just had my wife sit on the back to keep the front off of the ground. Then, I went to the bike shop to have them change it.

It only took about 4 or 5 hours!:-D:-D:-D:-D
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

With the bike on the centerstand, I lift the front wheel left handed lifting the lower left fork tube and slide a concrete block with a piece of 3/4" thick wood on the top underneath the engine with my right hand. Takes two sec's. :-)
                Taking the front wheel off first will make it easier to lift the front end. hehe

E.

Originally posted by Chuckster View Post
                I just ordered new front and rear tires for my 1981 Suzuki GS550T. I plan to remove the front and rear wheels and take them to a local bike shop and have them put my new tires on. I figured this would save me some money. I can remove the back easily with the bike on the centerstand. How can I remove the front wheel easiest? I don't know how I can "prop" up the front end to take the wheel off. Can I use something to support the engine with to get the front end off the ground? If so, what? Anybody got any ideas?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When I was adjusting my steering bearing, I just put it on the center stand and then put 50 lbs of weightlifting weights on the pillion seat to get the front in the air.

Comment

Stuck a scissor jack under my header pipes... put a flat board on top to help spread the load. Worked for me.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Those are all great ideas guys. I really appreciate the input. :-D

Comment

One other question guys. Could I take the wheels to any tire place that does car tires or do I have to take them to a bike shop? I didn't know "if a tire machine is a tire machine" or if a bike shop uses a special machine to mount them. They are tubeless.

Comment

Car tire shops don't work on motorcycle tires. Take them to a bike shop after calling around for best prices.

Comment

I jam a 12 pack beer cooler under my headers.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X