Re-jetting the carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-jetting the carb

I need to rejet the carb on my GS1100L but don't know how to go about doing it. Any suggestions? The engine is cold blooded right now. It takes a while to warm up and is pretty sticky when I first take it out. If I fire it up and take off the choke it will die out. Its running pretty rich as well. any suggestions would be most helpful.

-M

Pull the carbs and take the jets out. Make sure they are clean first. If they are you could always just go up a size on your pilot jet.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Is your bike stock? If so, re-jetting is almost certainly not the answer to any problems you might have.

Do your routine maintenance first. Make sure your air cleaner is in good shape, your airbox well sealed, your carbs clean and synchronized, valves adjusted, petcock working properly, no air leaks etc. Also check for good spark and that your ignition is in good working order.

How does it run when its warmed up?

Comment

Would also help to know what year your bike is. '79 and earlier bikes have different carbs, therefore different jet needs, than '80 and later bikes.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
          Is your bike stock? If so, re-jetting is almost certainly not the answer to any problems you might have.
          I'm wondering if that's true on my bike as well (80 GS850GL), its fully stock but i just finished doing a couple of plug chops this evening and at both 2/3 and full throttle my plugs looked like #22 or #23 on the following link http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html

I'm going to be installing a new set of coils and need to recheck the vavle clearence as I finnaly have a set of good feelers. With a new (400km ago) air filter and everything else stock do you think the vavles could make that great of a difference on my plugs? (Chops were done at 80-90km/h for 2/3 (3rd gear) and 100-120km/h for full (5th gear) on a moderate incline)

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmare View Post
            I'm wondering if that's true on my bike as well (80 GS850GL), its fully stock but i just finished doing a couple of plug chops this evening and at both 2/3 and full throttle my plugs looked like #22 or #23 on the following link http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html

I'm going to be installing a new set of coils and need to recheck the vavle clearence as I finnaly have a set of good feelers. With a new (400km ago) air filter and everything else stock do you think the vavles could make that great of a difference on my plugs? (Chops were done at 80-90km/h for 2/3 (3rd gear) and 100-120km/h for full (5th gear) on a moderate incline)

I think maybe I'd start my own thread and get everyone involved on that one. You may be running a little lean which is a lot more common. Common solutions are making sure your airbox is well sealed (vital for your model), intake 0-rings good and the carbs squeaky clean and properly adjusted. Valves way out of adjustment can affect synchronization of the carbs.

These bikes run really well in stock form and re-jetting shouldn't be required to fix carburetion problems.

Comment

Working...
            X