Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would/can anyone help me do my valves in CO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would/can anyone help me do my valves in CO?

edit:I guess my first question should be do my valves adjust? read a few posts from searching and it sounds like some of ours don't??

I have never gone this deeply into the engine and to be honest I'm a little apprehensive. I don't have the specialized tools yet, don't know what I'd need anyway, and I don't have any shims to work with...

so how much is involved?

remove the tank, not bad.

remove the cover, can be done with the engine still on the bike, no?

replace the gasket, is it only the one main cover gasket or are there a few? I might be inclined to get the silicon reuseable one if they are worthwhile?

one good part is I now have the Yamaha running so I can take a few days if I have to, but don't want to leave it dissassembled for long.

I'd be happy to actually pay for the help, and supply beer as well? and I'm great company 8-[

I guess any shops that would do it are good info also, Johnson's cycles was the only guy I knew who would work on these older bikes around here (longmont) and he got sick of it... boulder, longmont, or I could come to denver if that was the only way, but I'd have to ride there.

thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2007, 03:32 PM.

Originally posted by snowbeard View Post
    edit:I guess my first question should be do my valves adjust?
    If would help if we knew which bike your talking about. ](*,) And what do your mean by CO?

Comment

^ I'm thinking he means in Colorado since that's where he's from. I would do it but am a long ways away from the denver area. I need to adjust the valves on my bike aswell, what GS are you doing since your sig has 2 bikes listed?

Comment

I'm in Fountain, just south of the Springs, and would be glad to help if you can't find someone closer.

Feel free to PM me if needed.

Comment

sorry, the 81 GS650G is the only one running, sometimes I forget the 850 is on there...

thanks for the offers!! where abouts are you BS? I could consider a nice long trip too? It would probably be nicer for someone helping me to just be doing their own and pointing out my mistakes while I am beside them... Fountain's nice too!?!

Comment

FYI, I'd "probably" be sitting beside/behind you, saying "Do This, Don't Do That", but then again, I totally believe in you sig line about beer, so no telling what might happen.

Anyway, as I said, I'd be more than happy.....
            I have no extra shims, but there are a couple of Stealers in town. If I remember, I'll call tomorrow to see what they have in the way of stock. Of course, they're only open Saturdays (on the weekend, anyway). Worst case? We'll find out what you need, I'll send you home, and you should be Good To Go from there. I'll even loan you the tool, if I can find it.

The tank may or may not have to come off, I don't remember right now. Gasket? Cover gasket, for sure (my local Stealer actually had one in stock, if you can believe it). Breather gasket might not be a bad idea, "since you're there". I've seen a LOT of votes for the Real Gasket on this site. Oil stays in the bike, no need to drain.

And, when done, we can do a sync if needed. I have the gauge.

Did I mention I have a Kegerator in the garage?

Scott

Comment

Don't forget that valve adjustments must be done with the engine stone cold, meaning that it hasn't been run for the last 12-24 hours.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Don't forget that valve adjustments must be done with the engine stoned... that it hasn't been cognizant for the last 12-24 hours.
                What?:-D :-D

Comment

good point, bw.

but that's a pretty tempting offer Scott, even before the mention of kegs and whatnot. I have a pretty booked summer already, but I'll have to see if there's not some way I can figure out a weekend to head south. Thanks for the offer, I'll likely be in touch as I find out what my summer holds for me!!

Comment

well I may have some free weekends coming up, so I wanted to bump this thread so it never gets cleaned out for being old...

the wife took a three month visiting lectureship in CA in the fall \\/ so I hope to get the 850 all together, and some much needed maintainence on the 650 done. maybe a trip to fountain would get me close to pueblo to look at a sidecar that's down there too?

scott, you still got that kegerator?!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard View Post
                      maybe a trip to fountain would get me close to pueblo to look at a sidecar that's down there too?

scott, you still got that kegerator?!

Well, all the "fixin's" are there, but the keg's floatin", if you get my drift. However, there's a "certain kind of store" about 1/2 mile away with all the bottles/cans I can handle.

Seriously, my G/F's flying to Michigan this weekend and, other than cleaning the garage to make room for a 3rd bike, I'm wide open. After this weekend, they go day-to-day, but I'm pretty flexible. I'll send you a PM in a sec with my contact info for when you're ready.

If you have the valve cover gasket, we should be good to go. If you have/can get a breather cover gasket, this would be the time to do it, also. If not, let me know exactly what bike, and I'll call the local dealer and make sure they have one. As for shims, we won't know till we get in there. Sorry, but I totally forgot about seeing if/what they have.

Also, as to what Brian said earlier, the colder the better. If you have a way to trailer/truck it down, that would be best. If not, I'm sure we can figure something out. Hell, bring them both if you can, we'll make a weekend of it!

Saddlewarmer is in Pueblo. He may be up to meeting us/checking out your sidecar. Then we could have a threesome (get your minds OUT of the gutter!!!)

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add here later if I think of anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X