Oil Leak only when on side stand. GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak only when on side stand. GS1100E

This thing is really trying my patience. After all the DMV nightmares, collecting darn near half a bike worth of replacement parts, this thing throws me a new curve. I have had the bike on the center stand for about 3 months. I moved it the other day to change the valve cover gasket and adjust the valves. I put it back where I got it from, but didn't put it up on the center, just left it on the side stand overnight and came back to a good size oil slick. I know it must be under the sprocket cover someplace. I may just change all the seals under there, but which one(s) can be changed with out splitting the cases? I am selling my running bike tomorrow and would like to see this going before summer is over. I am into this beast for over $700 at this point and have never heard it run! Maybe I should have my head examined.
    Dave

I believe there are only 2 seals under there: one behind the sprocket, which seals the transmission shaft, and the one on the shifter shaft. Not sure whether either can be changed without splitting the cases, though.

Comment

Hi, not sure if you have checked it, but I had a Katana that was leaking past the neutral lamp switch. (Oval plastic plug with 2 x philips screws) The O-ring had been left out. Good luck.

Comment

If anything is leaking on the back side of the engine onto the flat spot above the tranny, it will drain into a cavity behind the sprocket cover and to the ground. But seeing as you haven't run this bike, I doubt it is leaking from anywhere above the case. Check the shift lever shaft seal. That can be replaced by just removing the clutch and pulling out the shift lever shaft.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

To test, just remove the outer sprocket cover and clean everything very well. I usually use brake cleaner aerosol, since it evaporates and leaves no residue. And it is relatively cheap for a large can. Then sit on side stand overnight and examine the next day. The neutral switch would be the easiest to fix, but removing the shifter shaft just means removing the right side engine cover (after draining the oil, of course) and removing the clutch cover, springs, plates, and clutch basket. The basket may be a slight battle, since the nut that holds it on can be quite tight. I use an air impact wrench and it is easy.
          IIRC, then the shifter shaft slides out the right side (should have a spring or two on it to make it ratchet up and down).

Comment

Under the sprocket cover there are three possible's. One's a seal on the gear change shaft, the other is a 'O' ring under the gear position indicator. The other is a crankcase plug which will require the cases to be apart to replace!

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
            1983 GS(X)1100ESD
            2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Don't forget the starter, their is a dran channel thru the motor-near the sprocket cover to drain the starter cavity

Comment

Also, both seals can be changed witout splitting the cases or pulling the shifter shaft! I have done it MANY times on MANY bikes. Even other brands than GSs. Ray.

Comment

Update. Now that I have drained the oil and refilled it to normal levels, it does appear to be leaking. Someone way over filled this bike, plus i think a lot of gas got into the oil too.

Comment

Working...
                  X