Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 gs750 with a fried R/R What are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs750 with a fried R/R What are my options?

What kind should I buy. Where should I buy it? And what should I expect to pay for it?

Thanks in advance!8-[

Originally posted by jmbpainting View Post
    What kind should I buy. Where should I buy it? And what should I expect to pay for it?

Thanks in advance!8-[
    Ricks Electrics in NH. I think I paid $100 for my r/r from them. Keep in mind that 9 times out of 10, the reason it fails is due to a fault in the wireing somewhere else on the bike. Better plan on a long date with a multi-meter and a wireing schematic before you put the new one on.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Check the For Sale forum. There is some guy selling converted Honda regulators for a reasonable price.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Also:

They were Electrex, the original sponser of the GS Resources many years ago. At one time they were the people to go to for regulator/rectifiers and stators but I've heard that their quality is now suspect but I can't personally attest to that.

Hap

Comment

One of the major wiring faults that can cause this is an inadequate ground wire from the r/r to the battery.

In the process of regulation, the r/r momentarily shunts the excess power straight to ground. If there is not a good ground, it has nowhere to go, causing problems.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jmbpainting View Post

Thanks in advance!8-[
            The best deal on a new, guaranteed Rick's R/R is a Rectifier/Regulator - Direct Replacement - Suzuki for $67.50 at Z1 Enterprises.

Comment

I see they have applications listed for 79-82 GS750L but not the regular non-L model. Does the L matter or will this work for the plain old GS 750?

Greg

Comment

what about the pre 79 bikes? Will a 78 E model work with this?

Comment

Some of the earlier bikes had separate rectifiers and regulators.
                  Not sure what years or what models, but it is right in that '76-'79 timeframe.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Greg R View Post
                    I see they have applications listed for 79-82 GS750L but not the regular non-L model. Does the L matter or will this work for the plain old GS 750?

Greg
                    It will work for the plain old GS750.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
                      what about the pre 79 bikes? Will a 78 E model work with this?
                      It will work. Your bike came with a separate rectifier and regulator. Later models use a combined R/R in one unit. To install on your bike, remove the old parts and rewire it to use the combined R/R.

Comment

the 79 L model GS750 is different than the other gs750's that year. The 79 L model shares the recifier/regulator as one unit as seen on following years tscc models. The 77-79 GS750 and GS750E have seperate rectifiers and regulators.

Comment

Working...
                        X