GSX 400 E 1981 not charging the battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 400 E 1981 not charging the battery

Hey ! I`ve asked this question before, but I want to know if there is anybody may have the knowledge to put me in the right direction.

"check all of your contacts?" , gees, doesn`t anybody know where it`s most likely for the problem to be ?

It doesn`t charge the battery, elsewise everythings fine. Since the battery isn`t charged, the head light seems to be a little blurry at low rpm, but that`s because of the battery I guess.

Joakim

Perhaps you should read the Stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_stator_ref.htm

Your problem is not uncommon... :?

Comment

Also, after reading the stator papers, if that battery is more than a year old, yank it for a new one. Trust me, it makes a difference :twisted:

Comment

Hey again!

I got the bike last summer, and I replaced the battery.
        Ofcourse I forgot to remove the battery when I put it in for winter storage, but I will go and get it in this week. The battery was flat when I putted the bike "inside".. .

There has to be some kind of fault with the battery charging , since I have all the normal lights when the engine is running.

Joakim

Comment

Re: GSX 400 E 1981 not charging the battery

There are aproximately 40 junctions in your wiring harness. If each connector/junction/ground is dirty and loses even 1/10 of a volt, that alone would drag your system voltage down by 4 volts and you charging system would not charge the battery and everything would appear to be working normally. So, it isnt always as simple as "most likely". The only sure way is to check and clean all connections and check voltage levels at each relative to battery voltage to see why kind of system drop you have. Then check stator output and go on to the R/R. Be sure and check grounds as well.

Earl

Originally posted by kimoaj
          Hey ! I`ve asked this question before, but I want to know if there is anybody may have the knowledge to put me in the right direction.

"check all of your contacts?" , gees, doesn`t anybody know where it`s most likely for the problem to be ?

It doesn`t charge the battery, elsewise everythings fine. Since the battery isn`t charged, the head light seems to be a little blurry at low rpm, but that`s because of the battery I guess.

Joakim
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The connections to check are the three wires coming from the stator and the wires coming from the R/R and check all of the ground wires. I also sugest adding an extra ground wire from one of the R/R mounting bolts to the (-) terminal of the battery with 10 ga wire. A bad ground will cause a high resistance resulting in a loss of voltage

Comment

Working...
            X