Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which petcock do you recommend?

Hi,

I have a 1978 Suzuki GS 1000 E - and a bad petcock. What do y'all recommend I replace it with?

I'm also working on rebuilding the carbs - wish me luck with THAT adventure!

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
    Hi,

I have a 1978 Suzuki GS 1000 E - and a bad petcock. What do y'all recommend I replace it with?

Buy a new vacuum operated petcock. The bike's carb system is designed for this type of petcock. You will get many years of reliable service from the stock unit. Some here will advocate going to a manual version. I believe that the vacuum controlled unit is safer to use.
    One thing we all agree on though, is that using the cheap aftermarket rebuild kits is a no brainer. They all seem to leak from new.
    Check on this site for the carb rebuild sticky covering your VM carbs. It is exellent and will help you through the rebuild process.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I don't see what the benefit is of running a manual petcock. The first time you run the carbs dry on a busy road and you are scratching your head trying to figure out why your bike died you will want that automatic petcock.

Comment

I like my vacuum petcock as well, as I have the memory of a goldfish at times. It's nice not having to remember to turn the thing on and off. I also like my reserve as I always forget how much fuel I have.

Comment

Agreed. Just order a new OEM one from your favorite Suzuki parts supplier or dealer and forget about this problem for another 20 years.

CRC2 also stocks and sells a few Suzuki petcocks -- not sure if they have yours:
          CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
            Don't let the task intimidate you. It's not that difficult, it just takes time, patience, and an impact screwdriver. You can follow the rebuild series on the homepage, even though it only covers the CV type carbs. The only major thing you'll have to do differently is synching them. The CV's have the adjustment screw outside of the carbs. While the VM's adjustment screws are located inside the top of each carb body.

Brad bt

Comment

Next question

Which brings me to my next question. . .

When I rebuild the carbs, I dont have the air box - the bike came with 4 individual air filters. Will I need to 1, get new jets. And 2, take it to somebody to get the carbs adjusted so they work. I've heard a lot of people say to never screw with the carbs, but mine are in great need of repair. How hard is it to adjust the air/fuel mixture without a calibration tool?

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                Don't let the task intimidate you. It's not that difficult, it just takes time, patience, and an impact screwdriver. You can follow the rebuild series on the homepage, even though it only covers the CV type carbs. The only major thing you'll have to do differently is synching them. The CV's have the adjustment screw outside of the carbs. While the VM's adjustment screws are located inside the top of each carb body.

Brad bt
                The VM carb rebuild document can be found on the homepage under "In the garage". The link entitled "VM Carburetor Rebuild" is written by Paul Musser.
                There may not be as many pics as the one for the CV series rebuild, but the diagrams are clear, easy to follow and well explained. If you get stuck, ask in this forum.
                :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X