Gas Gas everywhere.....help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Gas everywhere.....help!

Ok I have a 78 750. I just brought it home from my grandparents house last night, on a trailer. It made 66.5 miles of the 67 mile trip with out a hitch. but the 66.6 mile mark it fell over on the trailer. We stoped and picked it up and there wasn't even a scrach on it\\/ . Well today i whent out to look it over and when i started it up gas is now pooring out of carb. 2 and 3 bottom hoses, and there seems to be gas driping out of the pipe that connects the muffler to the header on the left side(sitting on bike) witch is also the side it fell on. i am assumeing that the gas from the carbs is a stuck float bowl and am going out there right to tack off the bowls and see if i can free it up. (does this sound like the right thing to do?) But as far as the gas in the exhaust i am scared. All help is very much appreciated.

It's possible that gas ran into the cam area and is running into the exhaust. I'd change the oil and filter. Hopefully this will clear up any issues of gas getting passed the cylinders.

Brad bt

Comment

yeah i have a new filter for it already but i donlt konw how it would have gotten in the by the cam it fell over but the side of the trailer kept it from laying flat. but who knows i'll check that also. so you think the carbs are stuck floats from the jult of the fall? thatyou for your fast reply
      steve

Comment

It's always possible. If you hadn't planned on it already, you may want to just go ahead and rebuild the carbs. But just wait a bit, I'm sure more members will offer advice beyond my own.

Brad bt

Comment

I would also pull all the plugs and check for gas in the cylinders before cranking it over. If there happens to be some gas in a cylinder when you crank it, you may have other problems to deal with, too.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

make sure something did'nt hit the petcock and push it to prime postion.

Comment

ok i cam in to check in thank you all so much for your replys. the petcock is on res. the only way to get the gas to come out is to start it so i know the petcock is working. i taped the carbs. lightly and carb. 3 stoped now it is down to carb 2. i dont let it run long at all just to see if the gas is flowing.i plane on changing the oil tonight and the filter. i realy want the bike to be runing right for tomarrow some friends are coming over and they've heard so much about the bike and go figure now it don't run .

i think the gas is getting in the exhaust from cly. 2 bc it is not getting warm from the 15 sec. of run time. ne thoughts ?
              steve

Comment

ok i have to tell you guys i got it working\\/ \\/ i had to take off the tank and the air box . gave the leaking carb. a little rap tap tap with my ruber malet. and presto. no more leaking carb\\/ \\/ . now i am back out ot go cahnge the oil and put it back together. thank you all for your feedback. i am hoping htat like Brad said that after changing the oil the gas in the muffler will go away also. i think that i am going to tack off the 2into 1 and make sure it is dry b/f running it i dont feel like bowing up.

steve

Comment

Whenyou start it chances are it will dry up quickly.You might have a pop or two at first but it will not blow up.The exhaust will take care of that thru pressure.

Comment

Ok, quick update. so after the above posts the bike was done. coulnd't wait to get it out yesterday. so my friends came over and out came the bike. started it up and what happends ...yep it was leacking GAS again. this time it was out of carb. 1 not the two that were leaking the day befor. so today i broke down and took the carbs. off the bike and cleaned out the bowls put it back together and presto it done. moral of the story do it right the frist time .

Comment

Originally posted by deves3000gt View Post
                      Ok, quick update. so after the above posts the bike was done. coulnd't wait to get it out yesterday. so my friends came over and out came the bike. started it up and what happends ...yep it was leacking GAS again. this time it was out of carb. 1 not the two that were leaking the day befor. so today i broke down and took the carbs. off the bike and cleaned out the bowls put it back together and presto it done. moral of the story do it right the frist time .
                      Sounds to me like a stuck float.Keep an eye on it.

Comment

Since it seems that you were out to get it running in a hurry, I'd definitely suggest rebuilding the carbs. Check out http://cycleorings.com/ for rebuild kits. And get a synchronizer to get the carbs in tune once you're done with the rebuild.

You've waited this long to ride, another week (actually less) won't hurt. Once you've rebuilt the carbs, you should be good to go for many miles without having to adjust them again.:-D

Brad bt

Comment

I was in a hurry...i did uncrew the two jets and make sure they were clean and all. but i am sure i didnt do everything. One thing that i must say is I'm no expert but this carbs were really clean despite the YEARS of sitting that this bike has done (i know it was my fathers) The O-rings were like new and the bowls had nothing on them...so my question is what else do i need to pull apart and change to rebuild them? it's a 78 750

Comment

Working...
                          X