Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New seat: Now how to clean and maintain it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New seat: Now how to clean and maintain it?

I bought a new seat from bike bandit about 6 mths ago, now Im wondering how to maintain it and clean it if needed (dust, bird droppings etc)

What would be best to use on the cover to keep it nice and stop it going hard (like my old seat did)

I dont know if i should use something like vinyl cleaner etc or something like armour all or protector 303 etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Products like Armour all are usually not recommended because they can make the seat slippery, which reduces safety. I do have to confess that I use a vinyl dressing once in a while.

For cleaning, I would recommend a vinyl cleaner/protectorant made for the purpose from the auto parts or marine department. Hopefully one that doesn't leave the seat too slick. I know over here that 3M, Meguiars, and Star Brite make a range of products for vinyl, from cleaners to conditioners. The ones labled as cleaners may be less slick, but the conditioners will help more to prolong life (of the vinyl, not the rider )

I like to use a cream formul like this, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/119755/0/0/vinyl%20cleaner/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0 rather than a silicone based spray on product.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2007, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I use black boot polish. It works a treat.
      Just be sure to rub it in well and polish it clean so you don't get a black bum.
      It protecets the vinyl beautifully and doesn't make the seat slippery. It looks fab as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
        I use black boot polish. It works a treat.
        Just be sure to rub it in well and polish it clean so you don't get a black bum.
        It protecets the vinyl beautifully and doesn't make the seat slippery. It looks fab as well.
        Yo Zooks...Is this another trick to get someone out there walking around with a Black A$$? Are you serious? No seriously...are you?

Comment

Bird droppings? :shock: Just how do you get bird droppings on a seat that is being sat upon and ridden? 8-[

Many things you can use, but Armor All should not be one of them. STP Son of a Gun is probably in the same category. They just make it too slick.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

erm, I never said it was while I was riding, it happened whilst it was parked up after a 900Km ride to work.

I dont have an under cover parking area at work and it means the bike sits outside. I did have a very expensive mylon? cover for it but I found that it was leaving fine scratches in the paintwork so I would rather just leave it uncovered.

Thanks for the tips, Im still doubting the boot polish though, I think I would prefer to not try that one, sounds really sus to me.

I did ask several of my local upholsterers but they all said that something like armour all or 303 would be best..... so im still at a loss to decide.

Comment

Just protect the seat from the sun and birds somehow when it's parked, and it'll last a lot longer.

The guys with leather seats have vinyl rain covers with elastic edges they can easily slip over the seat when needed. You might look into having a local upholsterer make something similar.

Or just bring an old towel and throw it over the seat when you park for the day.

I wouldn't use any sort of protectant or dressing -- it'll be too slippery.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Corbin has a conditioner for their seats (OK, saddles...). It's about $16.00 for a 1-pint container, and I don't see why it wouldn't work for other brands of seats.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I personally like Kiwi Mink Oil. You can get a can pretty much anywhere for under $5.
                  1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                  The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Saddle Soap

Saddle soap is another good product that you can find where they sell shoe polish.
                    It's basically an oil based product for cleaning...well saddles.
                    It has a natural oil base in it that treats leather with what it needs. Pretty sure it will do the same for vinyl. It's what I use anyway. But I have a leather seat.

Comment

The cheapest and most effective way to protect the seat from birds etc.
                      while the bike is parked is to cover the seat with a large-size grocery store shopping bag.

You should poke a few holes in what you will use as the bottom, so that any moisture and built-up heat can escape.

Cost is nil and the storage space needed to carry it is almost nothing.
                      Last edited by argonsagas; 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                      X