excess smoke out of left pipe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excess smoke out of left pipe???

1978 gs 750, started her up this evening and smoke came out of the left hand side pipe, then after about 30 seconds went away, the bike has been sitting on the side stand because i cant prop it up on the center stand "yet" (i only weigh 145 and am pretty scrawny) so is it possible oil? but why would my bike be dripping oil into the left side
    and in a new person revelation, i took my bike out for a spin tonight, down the road between my fields, well on the turn around at no more than 3 miles an hour the bike gently, and in all honesty i mean in the gentlest way possible dropped on the right side into the wet dirt and the bike died. i picked it up but upon turning the key back to 'on' and all that jazz, the red oil temp light was on and i couldnt start the bike, i wont be able to check the bike till monday, but is it possible in that soft drop i shorted/ messed something up?
    i plan on changing the oil and filter when i get back before i do any more riding just in case, but wanted to know if a soft drop that didnt scratch the bike or anything bad could do electronic harm.

Most likely, with the bike on the side stand, you may have flooded the #1 cylinder, I did that last night for the first time since I've owned it. Always use the center stand when away from the bike for more that a few minutes (note to self). As far as major damage to your bike from the "soft spill" it is unlikely that you did any major damage. Check the battery and electrical connections, drain the oil and change filter and you should be set. If all the lights work and it still won't crank over, if you dumped it on the left side, you may have an issue with the clutch safety switch...it happens.

Comment

I'm not sure if your 78 750 is close enough to my 80 850, but the trick to getting the bike up onto the center stand is:
      -Stand to the left of the bike, center the bike using the center stand (you can feel when the bike is resting on both "legs")
      -Place your heel of your foot on the stand, reach down with your right hand and grab the frame (right under the seat) use your left hand to hold onto the handle bar.
      -Pull up with your right hand while putting almost all of your weight on your right foot (which will push or lever the bike up onto the center stand).

The bike should just "pop" up onto the stand, its really quite easy once you get the hang of it, I almost solely use the center stand on my bike now (before I had to get a second person to help me get it on the stand).

Comment

Yep my 78 750 gives me smoke on that side if I leave it on the kick stand for a few days... I use the same method Nightmare says and easily put mine up on the center stand. It has to be level before it'll go up easy, if one foot is slightly off, you'll almost never get it. My father who was the original owner stood in awe when I pulled into the driveway, shut the bike off and put it right on on the stand! I walked him through how to do and he can't beleive how easy it is (and he had the bike for 25 years!).

Comment

I actually forgot how to put a bike up on it's centerstand because untill I got my 1100, it was 15 years since I've had a bike. You should've seen me sitting on the seat trying to get the bike to jerk back onto the centerstand. I bet I looked like such an idiot.#-o 8-[ Then I found out the proper method and BAM! Even an 1100 is not a problem to put up.

Rj

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmare View Post
            I'm not sure if your 78 750 is close enough to my 80 850, but the trick to getting the bike up onto the center stand is:
            -Stand to the left of the bike, center the bike using the center stand (you can feel when the bike is resting on both "legs")
            -Place your heel of your foot on the stand, reach down with your right hand and grab the frame (right under the seat) use your left hand to hold onto the handle bar.
            -Pull up with your right hand while putting almost all of your weight on your right foot (which will push or lever the bike up onto the center stand).

The bike should just "pop" up onto the stand, its really quite easy once you get the hang of it, I almost solely use the center stand on my bike now (before I had to get a second person to help me get it on the stand).

Just to add a tip from Dpep: Get the back tire onto a 2x4. It'll add just enough height to make getting on the center stand easier. Once you figure out the technique, it's a breeze. Just don't attempt it barefoot!:shock:

And I believe the oil pressure light typically comes on before the bike starts.

Brad bt

Comment

my bike has the same issue .. i had no clue i needed to use the center stand , glad i found this post

Comment

Working...
              X