Mystery fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery fuel tank

Last year I bought a body set off of ebay for a 82 850G. All the body parts fit on my 82 1100G except the tank. The tank ears that fit on the frame posts with the rubber pucks up near the steering head is about one inch wider than the tank on my 1100 and the 850 tank will not completely sit over the frame. Almost like the tank is a higher capacity or something. Anyone ever seen this before? The tank visually looks exact to the tank on my 1100 but there are those few subtle differences that make it just not fit. Unfortunately, in a moment of senility, I had the 850 sealed at a radiator shop before I tried to fit it to the bike. I'd like to sell the tank but don't know what the heck I have. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Any chance you can post a picture of the tank? Somebody may be able to identify it from the description and a picture.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
    1983 GS(X)1100ESD
    2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
      Any chance you can post a picture of the tank? Somebody may be able to identify it from the description and a picture.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
      1983 GS(X)1100ESD
      2002 GSF1200K1
      I'll get a couple of pics up later today. Tank has been painted though.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2007, 10:22 AM.

Comment

OK. Here we go. First, the bottom of a tank I'm watching on ebay that alledgedly fits an 83 1100GK:

Next pic and crude measurments of my "850 tank":

Comment

More:
          Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2007, 09:00 AM.

Comment

More still:

Got questions? Ask. I'd like to find out what this blue tank fits, 'cause it doesn't fit my 1100GZ.
            Thanks.

Comment

Would it be possible to fab up some new "pucks"? Just make them thicker to make up for the gap?

Brad bt

Comment

Even if I made up some new pucks to accept the additional width of the blue tank, the tank still does not sit down over the backbone of the frame so the two rear mounting tabs sit on the two rubber cushions on the rear. I don't know what I have. I saw the bike in a photo that this came off of and it looked like a stock GS 850G.
                Any and ALL ideas are welcome.
                This tank does not fit my 1100GZ rat bike. It would be nice if someone can use it. It's in pretty good shape. Ideally, someone in NH has an 850 they're looking for a tank for and can come by my house and set it on to see if it fits. BUT, all my feedback from these forums indicate that the tank should fit my ride.
                Thanks.

Sorry about screwing up the pics in the 5th post. Long day.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
                  Even if I made up some new pucks to accept the additional width of the blue tank, the tank still does not sit down over the backbone of the frame so the two rear mounting tabs sit on the two rubber cushions on the rear. I don't know what I have. I saw the bike in a photo that this came off of and it looked like a stock GS 850G.
                  Any and ALL ideas are welcome.
                  This tank does not fit my rat bike. It would be nice if someone can use it. It's in pretty good shape. Ideally, someone in NH has an 850 their looking for a tank for and can come by my house and set it on to see if it fits.
                  Thanks.
                  That's stinks! Post it in the Parts for Sale section. I'm positive that someone here will definitely be able to use it.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                    That's stinks! Post it in the Parts for Sale section. I'm positive that someone here will definitely be able to use it.

Brad bt
                    Stinks is much to nice a word for this predicament. What really ****es me off is that I bought the body package because I could really use a new tank. Argh!

Comment

Looking at the pictures it looks very similar to tanks on the later 1981/82 GS(X)1100/750 EX's we had here in the UK, mainly copied from the USA market of the era which was the fad. The tank style started with the GS(X)1100ET, the old 'whale back' tank, in 1979/80.
                      We also had some tanks like that on the later 550's and 650's models.

Can't help on the sizing though.

Suzuki mad
                      1981 GS1000ET
                      1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                      2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Thanks mad. I saw the pic of the bike this came off of and it was definitely and 8 valve and the side covers that came with it are painted the same custom color and had 850G badges on them.
                        I just emailed the seller from last October asking if he could provide me the VIN off the bike but I'm not holding my breath on that. Wasn't the best of transactions.
                        Anyone else want to comment I'd be happy to listen!

Comment

Been looking at the Suzukicycles.org site.

Tank could have come off a GS850GT from 1984.

Suzuki mad

Comment

that looks exactly like the tank that came on my 82 1100gkz. It almost looks like someone blew air in it to get some dings out and it spread out the mounts??? (notice the wrinkle in the middle)

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRodder View Post
                              that looks exactly like the tank that came on my 82 1100gkz. It almost looks like someone blew air in it to get some dings out and it spread out the mounts??? (notice the wrinkle in the middle)
                              Hmmm...
                              It looks exactly like my 1100GZ tank too but the #%*@$$ don't fit. Now I saw a picture the bike this came off of, complete and strapped down to a trailer. It looked like it fit and was all there. If I remember correctly, the seat looked like it mated fine to the back of the tank. The guy I bought it from offered to take it back after I first received it because he said it was rust free inside and I tried to negotiate a partial reimbursement because I needed to have the inside coated. He said I could send it back and he would refund money.
                              If the underside of the tank is distorted enough because it was blown up with air, how did it fit on the original chassis.
                              Stuff like this sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X