81 GS550 Tranny questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS550 Tranny questions

The bike was running fairly well, with a couple little glitches. I decided to seafoam it to try to clean it up a bit. I put 1/2 a can in the tank and 1/2 in the crankcase, ran it for 15 minutes or so. It never sputtered or smoked. It was getting dark so I put the bike away for the night. Here's where the trouble is:

I went to ride in the morning and it shifted hard into 1st. THe lever doesn't return after the shift and it's a bear to shift into any other gear. Basically the lever doesn't have any spring feel, it just sticks. The clutch works fine as it engages and disengages like normal.

I figured the seafoam deposited a bunch of crap in the tranny so I ran it until it was hot. The shifting improved, but barely. It's not rideable. I changed the oil while it was hot with no improvement.

What's the deal?

Change your oil. I'll bet my money on it that, that will fix your problems...
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Seafoam is for thr gas NOT the crankcase

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Seafoam is for thr gas NOT the crankcase
        Oh come on now. :? It's magic elixir, everyone knows that. \\/

Seriously now, the seafoam has most likely caused the clutch plates to stick together. Get that stuff out of the crankcase - you might have to flush it with a second clean oil change (not likely though).

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I already warmed the bike up, then changed the oil (same filter since it's only 500 miles old). THat had no effect on the problem. Should I do it again??

Also, if the clutch is engaging and disengaging properly, would the clutch plates be stuck together? When I ride it in 1st, I can pull in the clutch lever and the clutch disengages like normal. I can ride it fine in 1st, I just can't change gears. It doesn't slip or hesitate at all. It fully disengages like before the seafoam.

I just followed the directions on the back of the can of seafoam. Oh well. Live and learn!

Comment

Any thoughts on what to do next??

Comment

one more bump.....I need some help! Thanks!

Comment

Are you sure that the clutch is in proper adjustment? You may have to pull the cover and have look...as these are a wet clutch, the seafoam most likely messed with something, forks, gears, plates, could be almost anything. Pull it apart. Also, don't add any friction modifiers ie. STP or others, as this will all but destroy the friction properties of the plates themselves. :?

Comment

Thanks Dave. I just adjusted the clutch about 2 weeks ago. I was afraid the seafoam dumped a bunch of crap down into the tranny. I guess I'll just have to pull it apart...

all this during the nicest week so far this year!!

Comment

That would be Mr. Murphy at his finest!! :-D

Comment

I have the clutch out and everything is clean and pristine in there. I don't have the spanner wrench yet, so the rest of that side will have to wait. I'll probably just use an impact wrench.

I am going to work on the shifter side tonight or tomorrow to see what I can do there. This seems to be the more likely place for issues. I sure hope the whole motor doesn't have to get yanked. I hope the shifter cam and clutch forks are not the problem!

It is raining now, but only for today. I wish I had a garage!

Comment

Hard shifting

My 550 one day just had shifting "issues" similar to yours and I didnt put anything in the oil.

I fixed mine by shifting to 2nd and dumping the clutch. (sounds aweful but it worked for me)
                        It shifted fine after that. Could be coincidence though.

Comment

That is a little scary. I have the bike 1/2 apart now, so I am trying to figure out what's up. I have to get some tools so it will take a little while (no spanner wrench or air wrench so I'm stuck).

I hope I can figure it out.

Comment

verify that the ratchet ( actuates shift drum ) return spring is intact and working properly. that could give you the symptom of the shift lever feel. Don't reassemble the engine until you can manually shift through all the gears.

Comment

tranny

Im sure you have droped the oil pan, since your so far into it. i was suprised how much oil was still in mine after draining it and tipping side to side. could have still had seafoam left in their. good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X