Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed on GS850 carbs please.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on GS850 carbs please.....

Following an engine rebuild I had to buy replacement CV carbs for my 1980, GS850G.

The engine was rebuilt with new carb to head inlet rubbers and seals as well as new rubbers from the carb to the standard airbox and filter.

Problem number one was fuel leaking from no 1 and number 2 carbs due to sticking floats.
    Problem number two was the leaking fuel caught fire..........

All the damage has now been repaired apart from the tank which is waiting for a slot at the painters.

I have cleaned the carbs following the advice in the carb cleaning section. ( I never thought that I would be able to tackle such a job without the support of people on here.)

The newly cleaned carbs were reinstalled and now do not leak.
    The carbs have not been balanced on the bike yet, I need to get her running to take her to a professional for that job next week.

My current problem is....

On trying to start the engine for the first time today (using the damaged tank, but with a new, genuine Suzuki fuel tap) I could not get it to start with or without the choke.

I had good sparks from all four plugs, so, before flattening the newly charged battery I followed the advice in tips and tricks and gently blew into the breather tubes.

SUPERB tip, the engine started at the first touch of the starter button.

However, the engine was revving at about 5000rpm using no throttle and no choke.

The revs still had not died down when I shut her down for fear of blowing up the newly rebuilt engine!
    All four header pipes have discoloured down to the second bend before the join the collector box.

The choke cable is correctly adjusted.

The throttle cable is slack enough for the butterflys to be shut.

No fuel is leaking from anywhere (this time)

Adjusting the large screw between the carbs in either direction seemed to have no effect.

Can anyone offer advice on how to control or adjust the revs so I can get it to the shop for the carb balance?

Any suggestions as to the cause of this fast running please?

Take a close look

If adjusting the idle screw makes no difference, I would think the linkage is either stuck or assembled incorrectly. I would suggest you take a look with the help of a mirror and also look at a few pictures to make sure you put it back together correctly. I imagine it's something fairly simple. Let us know and....good luck!:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have double checked the linkages, cables and rubbers, all seems well.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bohane View Post

Have you done a bench sync of the carbs before fitting them to your bike? It sounds like one or two carbs may be way out of sync. You should have CV carbs fitted, so you need to work off the #3 carburettor when syncing them. This carb is the only one that doesn't have and an adjustment screw.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Not me!

Originally posted by Chris Bohane View Post

Evidently, not me!8-[
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X