OK,Dumb question about ignitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK,Dumb question about ignitions

My 80 gs 1000L,if i was to replace the point type ignition with a dyna system,how hard is it to do?I know they are newer,more modern,less trouble,but does it replace other parts like the regulator rectifier or what? I am totally electronically ignorant so please excuse the dumbness.My thing is mechanical stuff to a point.Ron B
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

The Dyna "S" ignition system replaces your points and condensors.
    The regulator/rectifier is part of the charging system, so has nothing to do with the ignition.
    The Dyna comes with a installation instructions that are step by step and well/clearly written, easy to follow. You shouldnt have any problem with the install. If you do, there are lots of members that can help you out with it.

E.

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
    My 80 gs 1000L,if i was to replace the point type ignition with a dyna system,how hard is it to do?I know they are newer,more modern,less trouble,but does it replace other parts like the regulator rectifier or what? I am totally electronically ignorant so please excuse the dumbness.My thing is mechanical stuff to a point.Ron B
    Last edited by earlfor; 04-28-2007, 11:46 PM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Are we sure this bike even has points? I know that Suzuki put electronic ignition on '80 and up on the GS850, and I thought it was across the product line. Not 100% sure of that...
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

You should have an electronic ignition. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it does break go with a Dyna S.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          You should have an electronic ignition. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it does break go with a Dyna S.
          Thanks chef,the clymer manual shows points.I have to take the cover off soon to time my motor when I put it back together,I will know for sure then.I assume if it has electronic ignition already there is some reason to put another one in? Like the dyna?
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

The Dyna S has no need for an igniter. It goes directly to the coils.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Clymer manuals tend to be a bit generic, or at least cover several years. My two books cover GS650 from '81 to '83 and GS850-GS1100 from '79 to '84. The 650 book covers both chain and shaft drive models, the other book includes '79s, so has points information.

Just because it's in the book does not mean it applies to YOUR bike. 8-[

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

NO, the Dyna is no improvement over the stock electronic ignition. If you have a stock electronic ignition system, it is non adjustable. (Altering the timing is not possible, so there is no timing to do)

E.

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                Thanks chef,the clymer manual shows points.I have to take the cover off soon to time my motor when I put it back together,I will know for sure then.I assume if it has electronic ignition already there is some reason to put another one in? Like the dyna?
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                X