Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might Have sucked a little Mercurcy in

Hello All,

I may have sucked a tiny bit of mercury into my engine. I'm not sure what happened, but I think a littlle oil from the air filter semi mixed with it, and cause it to become a little more viscuous than it should be. I cut it off as soon as I saw it start out the tube, but I'm sure a tiny bit probably made it into one of the cylinders.

What't the best way to deal with this?

Thanks,

Terry

No worries!

I wouldn't give it another thought!:?
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Same thing happened to me. That mercury was in and out of the engine in a flash anyway, spewed out the exhaust. Do what I did. Pitched the mercury stick and bought a Morgan Carbtune!

Comment

Originally posted by relic-rider View Post
        Same thing happened to me. That mercury was in and out of the engine in a flash anyway, spewed out the exhaust. Do what I did. Pitched the mercury stick and bought a Morgan Carbtune!
        Kind of what I was thinking. I put about 10 miles on it, and its OK....

There doesn't seem to be a way to salvage the carb sticks.

Is there a "proper" way to dispose of mercury?

Thankfully, its running about the same as when I started, which wasn't too bad anyway. I just wanted to see if I could get it, my 82 GS650G, running smooth in the 70 mph range. Right now its good up to about 60.

Terry

Comment

Check with your town, city, county or state on disposal. Most have a site to dispose of hazardous stuff like mercury. Old furnace thermostats have a capsule of mercury in them also. Funny how it is such a hazardous substance nowadays and when we were kids we played with the stuff. Both at school and home!

Comment

Originally posted by 92g View Post
            Kind of what I was thinking. I put about 10 miles on it, and its OK....

There doesn't seem to be a way to salvage the carb sticks.

Is there a "proper" way to dispose of mercury?

Thankfully, its running about the same as when I started, which wasn't too bad anyway. I just wanted to see if I could get it, my 82 GS650G, running smooth in the 70 mph range. Right now its good up to about 60.

Terry
            there must be another problem. What happens after 60?Mine will cruise 80 all day with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
              there must be another problem. What happens after 60?Mine will cruise 80 all day with no problem.
              It just gets a little vibration in the handle bars. At 70, its enough that its a little uncumfortable.

Terry

Comment

check engine mounts and resync at 1750 rpm's.You could get some different hand grips to help with vibration.

Comment

Working...
                X