Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Rebuild

I have just striped down the top end on my GS550 to replace the head gasket. Any suggestions what I can use to clean off the internal surfaces of the head, barrel, pistons etc before I rebuild the engine :? .

I always use a wire brush in my power drill to remove the carbon build up from the head and piston top. I use one of the old rings broken in two to clean the ring groove, my brother had a neat tool which had different size bits to clean the groves until he lent it out and never got it back. To remove the ridge at the top of the barrel I beg-borrow a ridge cutter from a local garage and then hone the walls using lots of oil.

Comment

I dip my pistons in a tank type carburator cleaner. The carbon then rinses right off. I would suggest that you get a valve job before putting this back together. If you do, they will clean the head for you.

If your cylinders are not worn to where you need new pistons, then use a hone to break the glaze for your new rings. I clean in hot soapy water, then wipe the cylinder surfaces with a clean rag with oil on it repeatedly until the rag comes away clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
        I dip my pistons in a tank type carburator cleaner. The carbon then rinses right off. I would suggest that you get a valve job before putting this back together. If you do, they will clean the head for you.

If your cylinders are not worn to where you need new pistons, then use a hone to break the glaze for your new rings. I clean in hot soapy water, then wipe the cylinder surfaces with a clean rag with oil on it repeatedly until the rag comes away clean.
        I did this too. (I think at Swanny's suggestion from a similar post I made). Anyway it cleaned them up great. Used a semi-stiff plastic brush to help the gunk off the tops and out of the ring grooves and they came out great. Rinse the pistons with soap and water before using the plastic brush!
        Great use for that bucket of carb cleaner after I was done with the carbs. Carb cleaner also makes a great paint stripper for smaller parts. Cleans up a set of brake caliper parts really nice for new paint.

Comment

Engine Rebuild

Will your at it why not put a set of 650 pistons and cylinder block on it . I was talking to a racing friend of mine he said they will drop right in, He did to his friends 550 race bike. I`m doing that to my 78 gs550 cafe racer next winter.

Peter

Comment

The 650 piston and cylinder trick......doesthat work on the 4 valve motors or only the 2 valvers?

Comment

Originally posted by krash
              The 650 piston and cylinder trick......doesthat work on the 4 valve motors or only the 2 valvers?
              It seems that getting another 100ccs out of a 550 wolud require more that just an over bore.There must be a lot of meat in those walls.

Comment

Perhaps you misread the post. you must also use the 650 cylinder block. main thing is will this work on the redesigned 83 to 86 4-valve 550 motor.

:?

Comment

I do it the easy way. Put the parts in a box and take it to the local auto machine shop and have them clean my parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X