'83 1100E Rear Tire Size(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 1100E Rear Tire Size(s)?

Hello, I have a '83 1100E in need of a new rear tire. It has a 130/90 - 17 on it now, can I fit anything wider or is that it with stock swingarm clearance?

Thank you

The 130/90 is the standard fit but I have had in the past 140/80 with very little change in handling or gearing.

Comment

There is no advantage to having a wider tire. If anything, it may adversely affect handling. Even if it clears the swingarm, mounting a tire that is wider than recommended for the rim size changes the profile and handling characteristics of the tire. Narrower tires respond more quickly to steering inputs.

A 130/90x17 tire is already about 1/2" wider than the OEM 4.50 x17 mounted on the bike when it was new. Tiremakers like Pirelli advise that a 130/90x17 tire can be used on rims from 2.5 - 3.5 inches. A 140/80x17 should be used only on rims from 2.75 - 3.75 inches.

Your OEM rear rim is a MT2.50x17, so I wouldn't recommend going over the maximum recommended 130/90x17 tire size. Note that this tire can be used on rims 1" wider than yours. Putting an oversize tire on a rim not designed for it is like buying size 44 pants for a 34" waist. It's possible, but won't work as well as the right size.

Comment

Thanks, sounds like I should stay with what I've got. I was wondering if there was any reason to change. Off to step it up to match the new Metzler I have in the front.

The weather is calling...

Comment

Working...
        X