Another Carb Tuning Question . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Carb Tuning Question . . .

Yes, yet another carb tuning question. . .

I read in the vm_carb_rebuild.pdf file on this website that when you remove the adjustment screw from your carburetors you count how many turns it takes to bottom each screw.

Is that sufficient to reset the carbs when I rebuild them, or will they take further tuning?

Also, when I DO rebuild them, how do I get them synched properly?

The synching bit is for the air butterflies the screws are for Idle mixture and you can set them evenly by counting the turns.

Comment

So, what's the best way to set them then?

I just checked my sparkplugs. . .

I'm surprised they worked at all!

They were carbon covered pretty badly, and smelled like gasoline, which tells me that the mixture was WAY to rich.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post

They were carbon covered pretty badly, and smelled like gasoline, which tells me that the mixture was WAY to rich.
        You want a light tan color on your plugs while the bike is on the idle circuit.

Try to screw in until the idle stumbles. Then back it out about a turn. That should put you in the ballpark.
        From there you can check your plugs for good color. If they are too dark, screw it in 1/4 turn. Too clean,
        back it out 1/4 turn.
        Last edited by DimitriT; 04-29-2007, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Turn them all the way in, DO NOT CRANK THEM DOWN TIGHT. Then back them out two full turns.

Comment

After What? If your only ideling a cold engine then black sooty wet plugs isn't much of an indication. When shes cold and needs the choke to idle then your running very rich.

Set the idle screws as stated and use them to get her to idle right after shes at operating temperature with the choke fully OFF. Its best to drive a short distance to get the engine fully warmed before attempting any idle adjustments.

Comment

So screw WHAT in?

The air mixture screw on the carburetors?
              The Idle setting screw?
              Or the Sparkplug?

- Hey, I'm a newbie so laugh all you want! :-D

Comment

Working...
              X