Gsx 550ef Cdi Electrics Headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsx 550ef Cdi Electrics Headache

I have recently bought a GSX 550 and was told that the CDI unit was blown, and true to form it was. After many hours searching i found a new one and fitted it to the bike. Hooray it worked, i took it out for a sipn and as soon as i revd it up the whole dam thing died. Pushed it home and removed the cdi, tested it and it had blown in exactly the same way as the first. So i decied to in vestigate further and discovered two blown fuse, Hmm i thought i wonder if the regulator/retifier is naf, on inspection i found that too many wires ran from the Rectifier and all but one of the wires were the wrong colour, on further inspection it turned out that the retifier was off of a CBX500. So after all that wafel my question is would the retifier being wrong blow the fuses and the CDI and if i can locate a new Rectifier ( the right on ) does it mater which order the three yellow wires enter the Retifer or not ?.
    I do hope someone can help with either advice or parts, it's taken me 8 years to convince the wife and get GSX thanks.

The CBX500 R/R should work just fine. We have one on an older 1980 GS550E.

First thing... trace the wires from the R/R back to the stator. Mine was exhibiting this symptom and we found out that the stator had burned up and it melted the wires going to the R/R and caused a short.

If the wiring looks good go to the "garage" section here and check out the stator papers. This will walk you through to what you should be seeing.

After you test your stator and get that sorted check on Ebay for a GSXR600 or larger R/R. They should be fairly cheap and hook right up if you are at all handy with wiring. Look for an R/R newer than 1999...

Currently I'm running one from a 2000 GSXR600.

Beware... if you don't get the stator sorted out the new GSXR one will work and for longer than the original or a CBX replacement but it will eventually burn up also.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2007, 11:01 AM.

Comment

An unregulated charging circuit can produce 18-20 volts when that happens electric circuits blow. I too have a Honda reg on my 850

Comment

Ok will do as sugested and post result thanks for the quick response
        JOE

Comment

Working...
        X