Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creation of Interchangeable Parts Database and more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creation of Interchangeable Parts Database and more.

Okay folks Dink kinda gave me the push?? Lets get this project started. If anyone knows of this project already started elsewhere then please stop me now as I and We (GS owners) are about to embark on one helluva creation.

The objective: Create the most detailed database complete with pictures, part numbers, measurements, and possible or proven interchangeability of parts between years and/or models.

The idea for this project came about from my own experience restoring bikes. I have done a total of 13 in my short lifetime and I am only 27 years of age. By far my two most favorite was a Suzuki 1982 GS850G and my current monster a 1979 GS750 L. Finding parts for 1979 has been all but difficult at times and I have often wondered if other parts would fit. Sometimes I get the right answer and sometimes I don?t. To help others I decided it was time to put together a database and with permission post the info on this web site with proper quality assurance checks by someone other than myself.

I would like to start with something simple such as Fuel Delivery.

I would like for everyone to use the following format to help me get started.

Year and Model - _________________________

Gas Tank part #- _________________________

Fuel Petcock Valve part # _________________________

Petcock Valve bolt hole _________________________
    Spacing (in inches please
    and center to center)

Fuel Tank capacity _________________________

Picture of bike with and without tank and with petcock valve mounted on tank. These pictures will be used so anyone accessing the database can reference so please make them as clear as possible.

So here goes. Look forward to hearing from everyone.

EMAIL ALL ANSWERS AND PICS TO- louie@webmayehm.net

Suggestions of any kind are welcome. Will need a GS guru to help me verify pictures, details, and part numbers.

Louie

Where are you going to put this database, and are you planning on having a web front end?

Comment

Just to mess with your specs a bit :twisted: .
      You might want to added fuel level sensor part # to your list of items (where applicable of couse). and it's mounting information.
      You gotta love system design .

Comment

I tried to do this last year...due to everyone being busy with jobs, families, church, etcetera, we did not get too far I have the 1981 GS1100E about 1/3 done.

Hap

Comment

Another big problem is most people use only the part numbers intended for their bike and don't experiment. I've done many things to my bike using parts intended for other models. Seems to work out just fine when people post their questions on the matter. Someone generally has the answer.

Comment

louie this sounds like a great idea, the only problem is that suzuki uses different part #'s for a lot of the same parts, ie. starter for gs1100gk has a different p/n then a gs850 but it is the same starter. So it makes it really hard to try to cross ref. parts.

Comment

Originally posted by dgeorge
              louie this sounds like a great idea, the only problem is that suzuki uses different part #'s for a lot of the same parts, ie. starter for gs1100gk has a different p/n then a gs850 but it is the same starter. So it makes it really hard to try to cross ref. parts.
              That was something I brought up the last time the idea circulated. My 700 shares just about everything with the '83 750, but the part numbers are different. One thing about Suzuki is most of their bikes are assembled using parts off the shelf. You just have to be able to figure out what is the same and what will work if not.

Comment

Great idea! I've been trying to figure out the possiblilities of swapping several bits on my bike. Is it going to include things like modern motorcycle parts swapping too or just GS bits? I've been trying to find something that will help me figure out which brake calipers and/or front ends/fork will easily swap from a later model GSXR (like from the late 90's to 00's)
                So is this thing going to end up in a big excel spreadsheet? I'm curious as to how it's going to be searchable.

the Mookster

Comment

Working...
                X