Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this normal, slight clutch slip...

Hey guys,

So when in first gear with the clutch in, there is the slightest of pulls. When I let the clutch out, the point of release is about 1/2 the way out. This "slip" is most evident when starting the bike in 1st with the clutch in. A slight surge is felt with every revolution. Is this normal or is something worse going to come out of this? Oh, btw, 82 GS650GL. Thanks.

How many miles on the clutch / bike? Sounds like you may be in for a set of plates. Are you sure that you've got everything adjusted correctly? What oil are you running in the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
      Hey guys,

So when in first gear with the clutch in, there is the slightest of pulls. When I let the clutch out, the point of release is about 1/2 the way out. This "slip" is most evident when starting the bike in 1st with the clutch in. A slight surge is felt with every revolution. Is this normal or is something worse going to come out of this? Oh, btw, 82 GS650GL. Thanks.
      Having it "pull" a little with the clutch all the way in when it's dead cold isn't unusual. If it always happens it could be several things.
      1. Your oil is too heavy,
      2. Yours disks and plates have debris in them,
      3. Your clutch isn't adjusted right.
      Get a manual and adjust the clutch as it says. If your not using the weight oil recommended by Ma Suzuki then try what they say. A new clutch cable can also help if the current one is very old and stretched so far it needs to use most of the adjustment available. Some of the aftermarket clutches will do it inspite of everything you do.

Is it normal? NO! Is anything worse going to happen? NO!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
        Hey guys,

Heres some reading:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

and some more reading:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

springs

I'm having to replace my clutch plates right now too... but I hadn't thought of replacing the springs, but it sounds like I might as well do them too at the same time since they look like they aren't very pricey either.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2007, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Not fully released?

It sounds to me like your clutch isn't getting fully released. You may only need to adjust your clutch cable (do it at the bottom and the fine tune at the leer).
            Since nothing happens when you release it 1/2 way, it's probably not ever reaching its intended range. That would certainly explain why it grabs when you start it in gear....and also, it would explain no initial response when you start to release it.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Me too!

Hi,

I just wanted to share what little experience I have in this area.

A little over a month ago I bought a 1980 GS850GT (currently has about 14,800 miles). After changing all the fluids I noticed that when I "clunked" it into first on a cool morning, before the engine/trans are up to operating temperature, that I would get a little "pull" (the bike wants to roll) even though the clutch was pulled all the way in and it would engage sooner when releasing. However, after the bike warmed up everything was normal, no "pull" and engagment would start about halfway through the handle release. I use 90wt synthetic gear oil for the drive gears and rear end. I use (a little thicker than factory recommended) Castrol 20w50 synthetic blend for the crankcase for a couple of reasons; for extra protection and the fact that it never gets very cold here in So. Cal.

Now that the weather is really starting to warm up, I don't notice any slipping clutch syndrome in the morning. All seems well and good. Thanks for listening and I appreciate all the expertise on this forum. You folks are just plain good to each other.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Wow, good info. I haven't payed much attention to see if it is just when it is cold or not. To answer some questions, 25k miles (original as far as I know), 10w40 motor oil and 80w GL5 in the rear end (all to spec). I will continue to ride and check it out. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you up to date.

Comment

Hey Skyboy,

Yes, I get the feeling that because I use a little thicker oil in the crankcase (which also bathes the wet clutch), when it's cool enough there may be a little extra drag even though I've got the clutch handle pulled all the way in. I'm not going to worry, unless one of the gurus tells me to. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

P.S. From your handle one might surmise that you are a skydiver? I haven't jumped for a while but I've got over 600 jumps logged. I hope to return to the sport one day. :shock:

Comment

Working...
                  X