Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery oil leak

Ok,
    Heres what going on. Maybe you guys can help.
    I was on the freeway doin about 80 on my 550. All of a sudden traffic was stopping. I braked but saw that a down shift was needed to slow in time. I clicked one down 6 to 5 but it didnt feel like it set so I clicked again. That sadly put me in 4th and I let the clutch out too fast (rookie mistake) After that oil started dumping out behind the clutch cover. I limped home and removed it. There was oil EVERYWHERE. But none was coming out. So I started it and ran it w/o the clutch on. No oil. Hoping it was a fluke I put everything back and putted around the block. Again oil everywhere. By the time I got the cover off again, no oil coming out. but it was everywhere. Ran it again w/o the cover. No oil. Tried taking off the sproket and running it through the gears w/o the cover on...no oil. It seems it only leaks under load. Oil pan intact, no oil from the sprocket seal, but the pin near the sprocket is bent (should be that way right and I dont know what its called)

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advanced!!!

By the way, other than the oil flooding out, engine runs strong as usual.

No suggestions at this point, but I'll be following this one, just to find out what happened.

Comment

thanks

and one other thing, just because I know it will get asked.

No oil coming from any higher than the clutch cover. Also none on the other side and none from the front.

Thanks again all you gs nuts!

Comment

What pin is bent? Are you talking about the clutch actuating rod? If it's bent there is your problem. Also how is the rod's oil seal? I'd say it's shot.

If the rod isn't kinked you can try to straighten it. Oil seal will cost about 5 bucks, buy 2, they're easy to tear up installing them.

Comment

Ok, but...

Just an ignorant question now,

How does that rod actuate the clutch? It moves in and out freeley with my hand but does not come out or has no resistance when pushing it in.

Thanks for the info!!!

Comment

When you pull in the clutch, that pushes in that rod to seperate the clutch plates.

Removal is from the other side of the engine and requires partial clutch disassembly. You should get a manual before you begin this chore.

(The clutch side is the right side of the engine. What you are calling the clutch side is the alternator or stator side, the left side. The pushrod will come out the right side of the engine.)
            Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM.

Comment

ok

Yeah the left side is where the clutch cable goes into. But the clutch is on the right. got it. I got a clymer so I am going to take a crack at it. Thanks for the tip! I will update on progress!

Comment

That push rod is still available from Suzuki. AlphaSports has it listed for $10.22. You'll also need a clutch cover gasket for that repair.

Good Luck to you.

Comment

Alpha sports

I went there and it wouldnt let me order it. Everywhere I check it no longer exists. do you have a link? Mine is a 78, would one off of a 79 or 80 be the same.

I pulled mine out and it had too many stress marks to make me feel comfortable.

Thanks again for the tips, I am sure once I am done, problem will be solved.

Comment

I tried Alpha Sports earlier and it gave me a different #. Might be worth a phone call to them. Tried bandit and got a no longer available. If you've got a dealer that has been around for many years, off chance they might have one. We've got an old school dealer in the area, Lee's Suzuki in Harrodsburg, KY, 859-734-5150, might call them, they ship parts.

I don't know for sure if there are any changes in that pushrod thru the years...I'd say probably not, but I've been wrong lots of times making guesses like that.

Comment

I contacted Alpha and they put it in the mail today. I also ordered 2 of the seals. I am hoping this does the trick!

I will let you guys know when it comes in. Also the book said that the clutch plate (where the springs are) are supposed to be torqued to 7 pounds. Is this right. Seems a bit low

Comment

7 lbs is right for the clutch plate bolts. Be careful about over-tightening as they can snap rather easily.

Comment

Deadbeat alert

Maybe not that severe, but they f'd me. I emailed them to see if they had the rod I needed. They said yes. I selected the express shipping so I could have the part for the weekend. So today I get an email saying that my item JUST shipped. 5 days later. I called them to ask wtf and they said they had to order the part. I asked for a simple explanation why they said it was there when it wasnt. And why I wasnt contacted so I would know it wasnt there. I got the run around and was told that I should have read the FAQ section that is nicely hidden at the very bottom of the page. Bottom line is that they dont tell the whole truth and when i asked for an explanation they just said "go somewhere else". So I am. F em.

Comment

So I guess you think parts for a 29 year old bike should be stocked on the shelf?, be thankful they're still available my friend and you don't have to make them.
                            a lot of people have been satisfied with alpha (myself included) be careful who you call a dead beat.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I dont expect the parts to be in....unless they say they are. My gripe is not how long it is taking, but that they said, nay, promised me the part would be here for the weekend if I payed the extra 15 bucks for express shipping and that was not the case. When I call and email to make sure that the part is there and they say it is to make a sale that irks me. I made the mistake of saying that if the part would not be here by the weekend, I would not order it. That is bad business practice if you ask me. If others have had luck with alpha....great. I just wanted to give my opinion of my experience...nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                              X