Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing a starter on 1980 GS750L

Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for a while now, soaking up lots of great tips and info about my GS. Thanks to all who make this site happen.

I am a long time shadetree mechanic and take care of my bike and my Toy pickup with pride, but I am not too proud to ask for help when I am stumped. In this case I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on how to get at one of the bolts holding the starter on my bike, a 1980 GS750L.

On my bike the two long bolts that hold the starter (and end cap which is where I want to get to) onto the bike are of the cross head variety and one of them is buried deep in the well the starter sits in and there is hardly room to fit any kind of driver head in there. I have removed the starter cover ok, and I can see how you could get at the top bolt, it's a bit of an angle but I hope I can break it loose. The one that is down in the cavity for the starter I can't figure out how to get at. If it was a hex head like the bolts that hold the starter cover on I can see fitting a small wrench or eve socket in there, but since it is a cross head I can't see how to get enough pressure onto the screw with the driver to do any good.

I am doing this without removing the gas tank, carbs and airbox because up until I came to this bolt it seemed there was plenty of room to work. Do you really have to pull all this stuff just to get at the one bolt from the top? The manual is unfortunately no help in this area.

Thank for any replies or experience with this problem,

F

I pulled my carbs and cam chain tensioner to remove the starter. I also pulled my stator cover and removed the gear, dowel and washer.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Should be two 8mm bolts holding the starter cover, then two 10mm bolts at the very back of the starter, holding it in. Don't know what end cap you are speaking of. It's a tight spot, & you'll think it won't, but starter should come out without removing anything else
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

A 1/4" drive ratchet and short extension always worked for me.

E.

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Should be two 8mm bolts holding the starter cover, then two 10mm bolts at the very back of the starter, holding it in. Don't know what end cap you are speaking of. It's a tight spot, & you'll think it won't, but starter should come out without removing anything else
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

ah, there's the thing though. The two long bolts holding the starter on are not hex head bolts, they have a star/cross head like a screw, or like the bolts that hold the various engine covers on. I did remove the two 8mm bolts holding the starter cover on, no problems, but without a hex head to attach to I can't come up with a good way of getting any torque on those cross heads. Just wondering if anyone else's bike has these instead of a normal hex head bolt and how they might have got them undone.

F

Comment

leverage

:-D use a ratchet with a philips bit. You can wedge something (a hand or a block of wood) between the ratchet & carbs etc. to get pressure on it if you have to.

Comment

Ahah, I see... I do not have a philips driver to fit my 1/4" ratchet but I will go procure one and then try that. With a little heat it might just be able to crack them free. I will certainly take the bolts to a local bolt supply shop and see if I can come up with a pair that have 10mm heads to replace them. I am thinking of doing this for all the cross head stuff on the bike actually.

Thanks for the tip eh.

F

Comment

Watch e-bay. There is a complete set of allen head stainless bolts for the GS 750's there now, ending in about 1 1/2 hr. The sets are on e-bay most all the time. I put together a set years ago, believe me, buying a set is much easier
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by The Fiddler View Post
                  Ahah, I see... I do not have a philips driver to fit my 1/4" ratchet but I will go procure one and then try that. With a little heat it might just be able to crack them free. I will certainly take the bolts to a local bolt supply shop and see if I can come up with a pair that have 10mm heads to replace them. I am thinking of doing this for all the cross head stuff on the bike actually.

Thanks for the tip eh.

F
                  Good idea, I have all those tools around so when I run into something like that, I just find the next tool. Be very careful though, and don't round out the phillips head screw, because then you'll need to drill and ez-out the thing.
                  BTW, I see you're a fiddler. I do a bit of that as well, and I play a variety of other instruments. With all the musicians on this forum, we could have a regular band if we all showed up in the same place with our instruments....:-D

Comment

I just stick a phillips bit into an SAE socket and snap it onto my 1/4" drive ratchet.

E.

Originally posted by The Fiddler View Post

Thanks for the tip eh.

F
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Fiddler

Do the 2 bolts you are trying to remove run along the body of the starter? If so, those hold the starter together NOT IN the engine. The mounting bolts are located at right hand(sitting on the bike) of the starter--probably out of sight if you don't have the fuel tank/carbs off.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X