Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot start it, please help...

Hi guys,
    I ride a 77' GS750. And now I have a problem starting it, for the first time ever...

YESTERDAY I took the exhaust system off, as a whole, because smoke was coming out of the cylinders. I put in new gaskets and mounted the exhaust back on again. And then I started it, it ran for 10-20 seconds and the problem was solved. So, I turned it off again. And I have not touched anything on the bike after that. BUT
    TODAY i cannot start the engine. The battery ran low two times using the starter. The exhaust gave off a couple of bangs and puffs and the engine was responding i think. For some reason I can't start it using the kickstarter. Is it supposed to be in neutral or in first gear when you kickstart, and do you use the choker?

I took out the spark plugs and cleaned them. I placed the plug with the cap on, on the cylinder block and kickstarted to see whether there was a spark or not. There wasn't. Is this a valid test?

It is very cold here, actually it is almost freezing. Is this the reason why it will not start (but why did it start yesterday then?)

I am very frustrated as I have never had any trouble starting the engine.
    What should I do???
    I hope someone has some idea about what could be wrong.
    Thanks
    Kroisos...

You should put it in neutral to kick easier and do use the choke. You are probably getting weak spark with the battery being discharged. Charge up the battery and try some starting fluid to get it to fire.

Comment

plug to cylinder head

Placing the plug on the cylinder head is a valid test, I have used it multiple times with the electric start on my GS, and I have done it with a kick starter on my dirt bike (Honda XL100). But I have never done this on a kick started bike, like previously mentioned it might be that your battery is too dead, try charging and testing.

Also try a little starting fluid to see if it even kicks over, I say a little because I have had this trick back fire (literally) and start small engine fires (not fun) oh one time it back fired and I singed off one of my eye brows, yes I do learn everything the hard way!

Comment

If it doesn't fire right up with choke on, check the kill swith, make sure it is getting gas, don't continue to crank it, you might burn up a starter relay, I know. See if there are any wires touching the exhaust system, particularly the wire from the igniter which is very close to the right muffler. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X