Exhaust Mod Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Mod Advice

Helloooooooooo, GS Forum! This is my first time posting here, so please let me know if you need my question to be more specific.

Last summer I bought an '82 GS750TZ which wasn’t running. My mission was to bring it back to life, which I did. Boy she runs great. I knew NOTHING about engines or motorcycles before I bought her, and now I'm a regular journeyman bike mechanic. I rebuilt carbs, front forks, brake calipers and drums, replaced gaskets and chains and sprockets, and on and on.

On to my question: I am interested in replacing my original 4 into 2 exhaust with a Vance & Hines 4 into 1. My questions are:

1) is this a difficult mod to do for an armature mechanic? I know it involves rejetting carbs and basic engine work, which I am capable of, what I cannot handle is custom welding, tube bending, etc.

2) I have attempted to contact V & H and some of their vendors to figure out which model of their 4 into 1 Street Megaphone suits my particular model. No answer. If V & H won’t work, can anyone suggest another manufacturer? I'm looking for classic chrome stuff, not sportbike.

3) Has anyone done this and can recommend the mod, or advise against it? Is it worth the trouble and $$$? Does it sound good, or like crapola?

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope I followed your forum rules... apologies if I didn't.

Mike
    Chicago, Illinois

Call the guys at: www.crc2onlinecatalog.com (317-634-7550) and talk to them about it. They were very helpful. I just purchased a MAC 4-1 for my 82' GS850G.

The guy said I don't need to rejet, but I posted a question on how to determine whether I do or not.

Charles...

Comment

Wow! This site is awesome. I don't know how I haven't run into it yet since I buy so many parts online. Thanks.

Are you happy with the Mac 4-1? Does it sound pretty good?

I'm surprised you didn't have to rejet, but the less wrenching and $$$ the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you install a 4 into 1, & don't need to rejet, the pipe isn't doing anything more than the stock exaust. The more you need to rejet, the better the engine is breathing. Most all 4 into 1 pipes sound similar, that wonderful buzzzzz.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by moneymonk View Post
          Can't tell you just yet -- I ordered the pipe today. Hopefully I will get it and get it installed by next Monday.

I'm surprised you didn't have to rejet, but the less wrenching and $$$ the better, as far as I'm concerned.
          I don't know if I'll have to rejet -- the guy @ crc2online said I wouldn't have to -- but I've gotten a reply to my post about how to tell if I need to rejet and it looks like I might have to.

Will keep you posted.

Charles...

Comment

Wow! This site is awesome. I don't know how I haven't run into it yet since I buy so many parts online. Thanks.

Thanks again.

this is what got me tuned into this site....
            I bought a 4-1 jardine canister,sport bike type exhaust for my GS
            and this site is wonderfull!!!!!full of knowledge and info

happy GS'in

Comment

I just put a Mac 4 into 1 on a 1000G this winter. Had to rejet because it was definitely lean. Had to go to a bigger pilot, don't know what size it was because there so small, I could'nt read a number off it. but could tell by comparing them it was just a little bigger. The needles on mine were non adjustable, but there was a plastic washer on top the clip, that we moved below the clip there by raising the needle the equivelent of two or three notches, and then REEMED the main jet just a little bit with a drill bit. Was'nt right the way it was ,so no loss if it did'nt work. I know this sounds a little shade tree, but it runs great!!! The moral of story is be patient and play aroud with it a little, it's worth the time and effort!! There is a product on the market that coats the inside of the pipe with a ceramic coating, to keep the head pipe from blueing. All the other pipes I've had did that. This one has not, and I'm a believer in it!! It is a product call Kreeme Blue shield ,I believe.So far I'm happy with the quality of the mac header, maybe time will change that, I don't know. Good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
              X