GS850 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 carbs

People have been helpful on here but I have some questions.
    I have had different suggestions for carb settings for my 79 Gs 850 VM26's. Is the pilot screw setting 5/8 or 7/8? Is the air screw 1 3/4 turns or 2 turns? Is the needle jet setting 2nd notch or 3rd notch?

Also if some can help me can you give me short and sweet explanation of setting float levels. I think one carb is out of adjustment as it leaks fuel constantly and I have to shut the fuel off.

Thanks for all the help on here.

I looked up the carb spec sheet that I have for '79 GS 850 VM 26's

These specs of course assume that your bike is completely stock.

pilot screw: 5/8th of a turn out. Remember that each carb was set at the factory and so 5/8 is approximate, I'd call it a place to start. I think I posted 7/8 to your question before, that's where I have mine set now, so sorry about that.

Pilot air screw: 1.25 turns out. Again, that's a starting point for fine tuning, most of us are out further I think. I was coached to start at 1 and 3/4 but some are more or less...each bike will be a little different.

There isn't just one exact setting....there is some trial and error involved.

I've adjusted my needles (several times) and my factory e-clip setting (which according to the previous owner was never messed with) was the 3rd notch from the top. I've never recieved any information that the stock setting was any different. 2nd notch (from the top) would be leaner, 4th notch would be richer and with spacers you can adjust to the 1/2 notch.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

To set the float height, with the bottom of the carb body off and your floats, needle valve and spring installed, turn the carb over so that the float is resting on the spring/needle valve.

Measure the distance from base of the carb body, (keep your ruler or caliper off the middle "lip") to the top of the float at its highest point (this would actually be the bottom of the float with the carb in its upright position).

correct setting is 23-25mm with the gasket removed. Keep them all as close as possible to exactly the same setting. Also its helpful to measure both floats of each carb to make sure they are even. Remove the float and bend the tab that rests on the needle valve a tiny bit at a time to make your adjustments.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2007, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X