Royally Screwed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royally Screwed....

Well, I put a new sprocket on my bike, dropped a tooth in the front for better acceleration. My brother took it for a spin and blew 2nd gear at 10k rpm, causing him to take it to about 12k. Then it started to sound like I had a hole in my exhaust.. what the heck... too much exhuast pressure???

Hmm... I thought and listened to it idle in the grage. sounded more like it was in the cylinder head... crap I thought to myself, the cams jumped teeth and messed up my valves big time.. Well I took the valve cover off and found that one of the valve clearance adjusting screws came out and got bashed around in the cylinder head. Here are some pictures...

Well.. the good news is, I found the problem, the bad news is that I now have a screw lost in my oil.

I looked further into the problem and found that the tappet(?) screw adjust was just about to fall, but did'nt, down past the camchain where it connects to the crankshaft. I got my handy dandy magnetic stick out and pulled her out... What a day.. here are some pictures.

My cam still looks good, although it mashed some of my head...

That was a big scare, but could'nt have turned out better.

Nick
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2007, 10:40 PM.

You better go buy a lottery ticket. :-D

Comment

Yep. could'a been a lot worse. You're one lucky dude. Now that brother of your's is another matter. I tell ya, if my brother took my bike up past redline, he better hope he has 6 friends to carry his coffin. 'Cuz I'd kill him!

Comment

I figure it was already on its way out, but he must have pushed it too far and it came out... I'm glad this turned out the way they did thought

Comment

If you haven't figured out what exactly happened, it was the piston hitting the valves driving the valve stem back into the fork. If you check the top of the piston in the offending cylinder I'll bet you find the tattoo of a valve head in the piston dome....please don't ask how I know this

Comment

Just be glad that rocker arm did not press down on the valve spring retainer and release the keepers. In a blink of and eye the valve would have dropped.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Dang. Just had this happen myself. Missed a shift and I lost TWO tappet adjusters. One was sitting on top, the other is nowhere to be found. Any tips???

Comment

get your magnet out. pull the oilpan.

Comment

I had it happen a second time after this incident, although as soon as it happened I heard it and turned the bike off within seconds.. Everything was still on just backed off. I put blue threadlocker on the jam nut afters adjusting the valves..

Just wondering what cylinder and valves it happened to you on? The two times it happend for me was on the 3rd cylinder exhaust vavle....

Comment

#2 and #3 intake (lost two of 'em).

Here's my thread:
                    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I wasn't so fortunate. It took out my camchain.

I had just adjusted valves, so I probably didn't tighten those nuts enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X