Stupid Starter Clutch Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Starter Clutch Bolt

So my starter clutch bolt let go again. What the h*ll. How do I keep this from happening again?

The last time this happened I took the bolt off, cleaned the threads on the bolt and in the crank, applied some Loctite on the bolt and torqued the thing to some ridiculous number, like 35 ft/lbs or something.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    thatdood

Dood
    i used an impact gun on mine & it hasn't come loose yet \\/
    Good luck!

Vinny

Comment

Fix your leaking petcock. That will stop the starter clutch from hydrolocking and and taking out the bolts.

E.

Originally posted by thatdood View Post
      So my starter clutch bolt let go again. What the h*ll. How do I keep this from happening again?

The last time this happened I took the bolt off, cleaned the threads on the bolt and in the crank, applied some Loctite on the bolt and torqued the thing to some ridiculous number, like 35 ft/lbs or something.

Anyone?

Thanks,
      thatdood
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        Fix your leaking petcock.

The petcock isn't leaking as far as I can tell. I'll put a shut-off valve between the petcock and fuel filter, just in case.

Comment

I assume you mean you are breaking starter clutch bolts. I've never had a loctited starter clutch bolt work itself loose and unthread. The only cause I have found for broken starter clutch bolts is leaking petcock diaphrams. usually the fuel drains from the petcock, through the vacuum hose and into the #2 cylinder where it puddles. Then when you hit the starter, the piston tries to compress liquid, there is a loud clank when the piston abruptly stops and the starter keeps turning the clutch, ...instant broken starter clutch bolts.

You can just pull the vacuum and fuel lines off the petcock overnight and place a few paper towels under the petcock nipples. If there is any leakage, there will be a stain on the paper towels.

E.

Originally posted by thatdood View Post
          The petcock isn't leaking as far as I can tell. I'll put a shut-off valve between the petcock and fuel filter, just in case.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If your talking about the rotor nut then 35 foot pounds is not enough. A GS1100 calls for 115 to 123 foot pounds of torque so for a 750 check your book for the torque required. Now if it's the 3 starter clutch bolts then just use three 12.9 grade bolts and you'll never have any problems again.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
              If your talking about the rotor nut then 35 foot pounds is not enough. A GS1100 calls for 115 to 123 foot pounds of torque so for a 750 check your book for the torque required. Now if it's the 3 starter clutch bolts then just use three 12.9 grade bolts and you'll never have any problems again.
              It's #1.

Comment

Yep, that's the tight one......

GS(X)1100E 115-123ft lbs torque....
                GS1000E 65-72.5ft lbs torque

Don't know the 750 settings...

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
                1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Working...