gs650g starter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650g starter.

Every now and again when I try to turn the bike on the starter sounds like it spins but like its not catching on anything. I then bump start it and it works fine.
    Any Ideas?

Missing teeth maybe on the start drive. I think I have one for this engine, if you pull the stator cover (watch out for all that oil) and find that is the problem PM me and I can get you one. It could also be the starter, that can be yanked out the top without removing the stator cover but the carbs are in the way and so is the cam chain adjuster.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hmm. I'll try and find some time. I have been feeling like a fool pushing my bike like a mad man then hopping on to bump start it down town haha.

Comment

Sounds more like the bendix drive in the starter.It can be redone at any starter or generator place.A bad ground could be the problem too.Check your ground first at the solinoid.Most likely it's the starter.

Comment

Most likley the starter clutch is worn & hangs up occasionally.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2007, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I agree, it has got to be the starter clutch.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Also once it starts I can turn it off and it will turn back on no problem.

How might I go about finding the starter clutch. I am in the process of buying a repair manual.

Comment

Originally posted by chadwikket View Post
                Also once it starts I can turn it off and it will turn back on no problem.

How might I go about finding the starter clutch. I am in the process of buying a repair manual.
                The starter cover is right under the carbs on the left side of the bike.There is a dome shaped housing.Take it off and hit the starter and you will see the bendix drive kick in.sometimes all you have to do is clean it up and lube the shaft the starter gear slides on and it will work.It's just like a starter on your car.

Comment

There is no bendix on a GS starter, the starter clutch is what engages & disengages. Don't tap on the GS starter, they aren't like a Chevy. There are magnets glued to the inside of the starter case that will easily crack & come loose, if pecked on. Loose parts of magnets aren't good inside the starter.The starter clutch is mounted to the back of the alternator rotor, on the left end of the crankshaft. A tooth off the starter clutch gear may cause a problem like you are having, but I've never seen a tooth broke off of one. Repair manual or experienced help would be highly recomended for these repairs. I hope you find something easier than the starter clutch, but if the starter turns, & the engine doesn't, the starter clutch is the only thing between the starter gear & the crankshaft.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

In light of all this I would suggest taking the stator cover off the left side of the engine and having a look inside. You'll need a gasket, or cut one from gasket paper, and the stator cover can be hard to remove because of the magnets that energize the stator.

Once inside you can see what is happening. Remove the spark plug wires so the engine does not start when testing, oil will go everywhere if it starts.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                      The starter cover is right under the carbs on the left side of the bike.There is a dome shaped housing.Take it off and hit the starter and you will see the bendix drive kick in.sometimes all you have to do is clean it up and lube the shaft the starter gear slides on and it will work.It's just like a starter on your car.
                      GIVE THE GUY THE CORRECT INFORMATION PLEASE.
                      The starter motor does not have a bendix..... The starter turns an idler gear which intern acitavates the one way starter clutch to turn the motor when the bike starts the rollers in the starter clutch retract allowing it to freewheel. It is under the left side engine cover behind the rotor. It requires a special rotor removal tool to gain access to the starter clutch. The stator cover gasket thickness IS IMPORTANT so use a simillar gasket material
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2007, 04:26 AM.

Comment

If it is the starter clutch this might be a dealer repair unless you have access to a rotor puller.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'm buying the manual today finally.

Hopefully the repairs wont be too costly.

Thanks again.

Comment

Misimformation happens, & I'm sure it's not intentional. tconroy thought he was right, just like I thought I was right, last week, when I posted the GS series never used a hydrolic clutch. I would have bet good money I was right. After a firm repromand, I'll know from now on, at least 1 GS did use a hydrolic clutch, & I'll bet tconroy will remember about the GS starters too. As long as we're are learning here, all is OK. Just a little embarrising!!!

Comment

From what I remember of the GS650 starter ( I had to replace mine while I still had it) it is very much like a conventional car starter with a moving gear on the end of a shaft. Very easy to replace, I bought a used piece off ebay. You have to remember that when you have the 650G you have the oddball of the GS lineup. Very different motor, from what I remember. For example, used regular automotive style main bearings instead of the roller bearings that most GS's used.

Comment

Working...
                              X