Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my MAC 4-1, looks used, need advice

Hello All;

I just got my MAC 4-1 pipes. The salesman told me that they were new and left-over from last year. I got them for $299 (last year's price) instead of $329 (this year's price). (I bought them online so was not able to inspect them.)

They look new... but there are a number of dings and gouges (looks like they were hit with a wrench) on the pipes. Also, there is a series of 10-12 gouges all close to each other on the inside curved section of the pipe which would connect to the #1 cylinder. Also, there are one or two gouges on the muffler and when looking at the chrome finish under a light it looks like they been sanded by some very, very fine grit paper (the chome has, what appears to be, lots and lots of very, very fine scratches).

When I took it out of the box a piece of cruddy, grimy metal 3/4" in diameter, 3/8" think with an inside hole of about 5/16" (a thick metal spacer of some sort?) fell out of the muffler which was not sealed in the OEM plastic bax -- it was open at both ends.

I've never bought a set of aftermarket pipes, but figure they shouldn't have dings and gouges on them. They were sold to me as new, but look like someone maybe installed them then took them off.

Can anyone can shed some light on this before I call the seller.

Thanks.

Charles...

Did you get in touch with the sales person and and discuss this with him or her? They should give you a refund or exchange the product.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Some places try to pawn off used or returned items, or even display items as new yet. These were probably installed and then returned. Then at the end of the year, that is the first one to get shipped to the customer the next year. Most companies don't do that. Dennis Kirk for example has a Scratch and dent store and an Ebay store to sell their used and returned items. Should have been a lot less than the $30 less you got them for. If they don't replace them with a new set, return them and go somewhere else. Lots of places sell those pipes.

Comment

Sounds like they were a return. Call 'em up and ask nicely for a new set.

Whatever happens, please let us know who the seller was and how things turned out.

These things happen -- some companies don't always look in the box when accepting a return, or they put the returned stuff on the wrong stack. I hope they will make it right. They might want you to pay the extra $30 for the ACTUAL new exhaust, but hopefully they will make it right for the original price.

I've gotten used or broken parts at Autozone many times -- I guess it's a pretty common scam to buy a new part, install it, put your old part in the box, then return it for a refund. The staff there isn't paid enough to care or look in the box. Once, I got four used spark plugs. I mean, how %$#@! desperate do you have to be to steal spark plugs?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'd say it's a return and if I had to guess it's because it didn't fit correctly. So chances are you'd probably be forced to tweak things a bit to make it fit right.

Mac's are NOT noted for deep high quality showchrome, so any sanding done to the thin smear of chrome on those pipes is going to be that much closer to rusting.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Did you get in touch with the sales person and and discuss this with him or her? They should give you a refund or exchange the product.
            Not yet. I wanted to get some feedback from the great people on this forum first.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
              Mac's are NOT noted for deep high quality showchrome, so any sanding done to the thin smear of chrome on those pipes is going to be that much closer to rusting.
              HUH? Very interesting!!!

I was going to purchase a Vance & Hines and the guy told me their chrome wasn't so good and that the MAC was way better! That's when he told me he had the MAC 4-1 leftover from last year.

I don't know of the pipes were sanded or not -- but the crhome is not as nice I was expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
                HUH? Very interesting!!!

I was going to purchase a Vance & Hines and the guy told me their chrome wasn't so good and that the MAC was way better! That's when he told me he had the MAC 4-1 leftover from last year.

I don't know of the pipes were sanded or not -- but the crhome is not as nice I was expecting.
                Hmmm! Salesman talk. How else was he going to get you to buy his leftover return stock from last year!

Comment

Sounds like someone bought a bunch of manufacturers seconds.

Comment

HUH? Very interesting!!!

Vance & Hines will make a MAC system look sick (in a bad way).

Comment

mac 4-1

send it back i got a vance and hines 4-1 a few monthes ago for 238.00 brand new if you want i'll try to post the link

harry

Comment

HUH? Very interesting!!!

Nope, many times over the years people have complained on these forums about fit and finish of MAC systems.

See post #6, #11 and #18.
                        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

That's from this page, today.

So no, I'm not jiving you at all.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2007, 03:35 PM.

Comment

How could even a salesman rate a Mac above a Vance & Hines? He must be practicing to be a used car salesman....
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hello Everyone;

Well... here's the follow-up.

I spoke with the people at www.crc2onlinecatalog.com (where I bought the MAC 4-1) and they told me that their supplier must have sent them a used/returned unit.

They were quite aplogetic and had me ship the "defective" exhaust back to them. They said they would pay for the return shipping and get me a new unit -- which they did.

I was pretty PO'd and they handled it quite professionaly -- kudos to the folks at crc2!! (I will be buying from them again in the future.)

I've got the MAC installed and now need to adjust/synch my carbs.

Thanks again for all the input and advice.

Charles...

Comment

Working...
                            X