Turn Signal Issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Issue.

I just redid some wiring on my '78 GS550. Replacing the gauges with one of the Mikes XS gauges and also replaced the turn signals with bullet signals. The left side signals light up when I turn them on, but they do not blink. The right side signals seem to work fine. Any ideas on what may be happening or where to start looking?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2007, 03:18 PM.

I've had a similar problem with a few of my bikes, some of the after market turnsignals take a different relay. Auto Zone or Checker has them in stock, there like $7.00, I think the part number is C-8? But if you have one side blinking, not just on that's probably not the problem. Good luck Troy

Comment

Replace the stock flasher with one of those little round silver one's. Get the heavy duty type.

Comment

Do each side of the signals use a different flasher? Or are do they use the same flasher?

Comment

there's only one flasher on my 650

Comment

They only use one flasher for both. Your signals are drawing different currents (your bulbs are different on either side of the bike, or one is flawed). Just a hunch, does the left side turn indicator on the gauges work?

Not flashing means that you are not drawing enough current (ie you're flashers are less powerful or of the energy efficient kind). Replacing them with a flasher unit built for a SMALL AMOUNT OF CURRENT will fix the problem (ie, built for the fewest number of bulbs). If you buy a flasher unit for an RV or something, you will have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
              Replace the stock flasher with one of those little round silver one's. Get the heavy duty type.
              I followed your advice this weekend and it worked like a charm! Thanks!

Comment

take a loow at your flasher control unit. it should be under the rt sidecover it is a small blackbox that says nippondenso on it it will also say something to the effect of .... front 23x2+3.4 watt
                rear 23x2+3.4 watt

this means that your flasher will only work with 23 watt bulbs, the extra 3.4 watts are for the indicator bulbs on the dash

you should have four wires coming out one of which will be a ground a little wiring will be required as you will need either a new auto type connector or make one out of spade terminals but then you can run a less sensitive and way cheaper automotive flasher

Comment

Working...
                X