broken bolt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
    my goal with this bike was to get it on the road fast and cheap...
    huh, i've been there myself and learnt that it usually ends up being the slowest and most expensive way...:shock:

anyhow, here's a good reading on stuck bolts, for future reference
    GS850GT

Comment

well i got the head off and to a machinest, and i should get it back on wednesday! then i can work on getting it back together..... whoohoo!!!!

Comment

I have the same problem with a couple of bolts but they've been like that for a long time. I just found out cause I was investigating backfiring problems and looking for exhaust leaks. So I don't think I'll be trying it myself... but anyway, please let us know how it goes with the machinist and what they charge for that kind of thing, I would really appreciate it.

Comment

One way to remove the front wheel on a GS is to loosen the 4 nuts at the bottom of the fork slider. Unfortunatley one stripped so I removed the leg and took it up to the local dealer. He put a quick weld onto the stud and using a stud removal tool out it came.
          I thought, that's easy, I'I just change the other three. One came out the other two snapped like carrots flush in the bottom of the slider.
          The dealer drilled them out for me and fitted new studs... cost was the price of the studs!!!

They also time certed the spark plug hoels in my cylinder head and that cost me £20 ($40 approx)

The GSF1200 I have is fitted with stainless bolts as standard. They come out every time. On e**y people are selling studs to replace engine bolts. If you can get brass nuts to fit then the studs can be fitted and left as brass will not seize to steel.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
          1983 GS(X)1100ESD
          2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

thats some good info.....

he is charging me up to 50 a bolt. i think its a little pricey, but i hear this guy is really good at what he does so oh well, he said the 3 bolts could cost me around 150. ouch

that puts quite a hole in my wallet for the gs fund.

Comment

Owwooch.

I thought Robin hood lived here in Nottingham (Sherwood forest country) but he appears to be alive and well near you!!!

I would hope at that price he does a top job.

Suzuki mad

Comment

yea i think cause i am young he figures i am ingorant and dont know any better, i know its too much, but i dont care as long as he does it right and i get my bike back on the road the way it should be

Comment

Working...
                X