tire size questions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire size questions.....

whats the biggest tire i can put on my 1980 gs750? i want to just go a little bigger than the stocker for looks and for the ride quality. so how fat can i get it? the height is fine i just want more width...

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I can't give you any specific numbers, but what makes you think that a larger tire will give you a better ride?

Unless you also put on a wider rim, a wider tire will just get pinched out of its normal shape. This will put stress on the cords in directions that were not intended, and will probably make the ride worse. Also, by pinching the beads tighter than they should be, you change the profile of the tire. It is possible that the tire will bend in the center, giving you a very narrow contact patch while going straight, but it's also possible that it will curve all along the profile, actually making the contact patch narrower in the turns, too.

You might get away with going one size (10mm) wider, but be aware that it will also be taller, unless you go to a lower profile to keep the height the same.

Such a can of worms, I would not do it unless forced. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks man, i will just stick to the stock size then... this bike doesnt really need a fat tire just wondering what my options are! thanks again

Comment

I can't speak for the 750 but the 1000 came with 4.50/17's on the back. We used to get a 5.10 on the standard swinging arm but it used to rub under load.

Today you fit either 120's or 130's. Doesn't make a great deal of difference to the handling except when new. Here in the UK we put more PSI in the tyres than standard due to our bad road conditions.

Suzuki mad.

1981 GS1000ET
        1983 GS(X)1100ESD
        2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

I usually go up one size when installing new tires - running 100/19 on front and 120/17 on rear. No issues with pinching that are noticable to me.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

well i got my new back tire on yesterday.... got a dunlop.

same size as stock. feels good on there and the bike handles really well....

Comment

Which one?

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
              whats the biggest tire i can put on my 1980 gs750? i want to just go a little bigger than the stocker for looks and for the ride quality. so how fat can i get it? the height is fine i just want more width...

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
              Well, it depends upon which 1980 GS750 you own!! I think the E model has a 17 inch rear and I know the L model has a 16 inch rear.....8-[
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

mine is a 17

Comment

I'm running a Bridgestone 120/90-18 65H on mine.... GS75X

Comment

Working...
                  X