83 gs750es fork seals replace procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs750es fork seals replace procedure

Looking for a quick method for the seal replacement w/o major dissassembly. (If other part replacements aren't critical for this mileage/age)
    Bike appears to have been garage kept most it's life. Outside of the 30k miles.
    Has been in storgage for several years since.

There are teflon bushings that need to be replaced at the same time as the seals. With the age of the bike the fork oil is going to be crap if it's never been changed, and chances are it hasn't. I don't have time for a complete rundown but don't try taking shortcuts. Your seals won't last with nasty oil in the fork. If someone else doesn't give you the details I'll take the time in a couple of days.

Comment

You can change the seals by popping out the old seals via an air compressor on the air fittings (after removing the retainer clips) then driving the new ones on in-place. No disassembly required beyond removing the forks from the bike (and the top caps to drain/refill the oil).

You can't replace the bushings this way (have to separate the tubes for that), but quite often they don't need replacing (mine didn't).

Comment

I did the same but put the air in with a "track pump". Took about 150 - 170PSI to get them out.

My bushings didn't need replacing either.

You can still flush the oil & change it doing it this way. You still need to drop the legs out of the clamps just no need to take the whole thing apart.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X