Oil Pressure Sensor Testing? GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure Sensor Testing? GS650GL

I am a newbie to motorcycles and riding. I bought an 1982 GS650GL this winter. My friend went on a check ride two weeks ago, after which I changed the oil and filter. The oil was a bit low on the check ride, but the oil light did go out. Now the oil light will not go off.

It looks like oil is moving through the filter and the engine is not making any unusual sounds.

My question is: how do I check to make sure the oil pressure sensor is working correctly? Or should I just replace it?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've really valued the info on this site.

the sensor just closes the circut for the light, check to see if the wire has been pinched or has rubbed through and is grounding out.

also are you sure you got the filter in the right way?

Comment

well to get the the sensor, you have to pull the carbs...

you can see the single wire that leads to the center, under the carbs. Just make sure that isn't pinched and grounding against anything. If it isn't, i'd pull the carbs and take the pressure switch out.

p.s. any of your other gauge lights on as well?
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
        well to get the the sensor, you have to pull the carbs...

you can see the single wire that leads to the center, under the carbs. Just make sure that isn't pinched and grounding against anything. If it isn't, i'd pull the carbs and take the pressure switch out.

p.s. any of your other gauge lights on as well?
        Are you sure that's where it is ?I haven't looked at mine to see but I have had my carbs off and cam chain tensioner and never seen a wire of any kind around that area.I will look closer tommorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
          Are you sure that's where it is ?I haven't looked at mine to see but I have had my carbs off and cam chain tensioner and never seen a wire of any kind around that area.I will look closer tommorrow.
          I just looked and on the chain drive models it is below the carbs but you should'nt have to pull them and the shaft drive models have it behind the ignition cover.

Comment

I checked the oil filter right after the light came on and it is in there properly. I will check the wires and (if I can find it) replace the sensor. Do you have a haynes or clymer that tells what the sensor reading is supposed to be?

Comment

Do you have a shaft of chain?If it's a shaft the sensor is under your ignition cover.I have a clymers and it say's to remove the sending unit with a socket after disconnecting the wire.Also use some gasket sealer on the threads when installing a new one to prevent leakage and torque to 9.5 to 12.5 ft.-lbs. There is no temperature involved with this it is an oil pressure sending unit.

Comment

Working...
              X