Looking for idle adjustment screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for idle adjustment screw

I'm working with a '82 650GL and its been stalling out when I'm stopping at an intersection. I want to see if turning up the idle adjustment will help, but I'm at a loss at locating it. Either I'm over looking it or I'm looking in the wrong place.

Anyone want to give me some directions here?

Thanks,
    Gypsyjuggler

Its a knurled knob/disk about the size of a 50 cent piece and located between the #2 and #3 carbs. Usually if you kneel on the left side of the bike and reach under the float bowls, pushing your right hand (palm up) between the 2 and 3 bowls and towards the top of the carb rack, you will feel it. Clockwise rotation is increase idle rpm.

E.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Is this it?

Is this it or am I looking in the wrong place? This image was taken on the right side of the bike.

If its something else, what is it?

Comment

No, that is not it, DO NOT TURN THAT KNOB WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. :shock:
        That is the cam chain tensioner.

The one my my '82 650L is behind the float bowls, between #2 and #3, and is only about the size of a dime. Might be hard to see and reach if you have a stock airbox. I have pods on mine, so I can get a couple of fingers on it.

Based on your picture, place your right hand, palm up, over the oil fill hole in the clutch cover. Slide in, you will find it between #2 and #3.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsyjuggler View Post
          Is this it...
          No

...am I looking in the wrong place?
          Yes, look between the float blowls and the air box. I can get at mine with my left hand while sitting on the bike and leaning to the left. Don't even need to look anymore.

...If its something else, what is it?
          See below.

Comment

nothing to add I was just curious if the responses adverted disaster...

Comment

Not to worry....

Don't worry, I didn't attempt to adjust anything. No damage. I'll let you know how it goes when I find the correct adjuster.

Thanks to everyone here who has taken the time to answer my questions.

Gypsyjuggler

Comment

I doubt you should need to increase the idle speed because of stalling at intersections, my bike won't stall under hard breaking or much of anything anymore after I cleaned out the carbs, new air filter and most importantly synced the carbs (which is probably the problem on your bike).

There's lots of power in this bike and it can idle really well at 1000 (+- 100rpm)... There are lots of other posts here on how to sync your carbs.

Comment

I took the bike to work this morning and it ran the same.. No surprise there, I haven't had a chance to do any adjustments on it.

On the way back home after work, I took a different route just to see how the bike would handle. Got it on the highway and took it just a few miles.

I would think that it would run ok until I got to my exit and stopped at the next intersection. Instead, with the bike in 5th gear, going about 65-75 miles an hour, I start loosing power on two occasions. I open the choke a little and turn the petcock to prime until it powers back up again. Seems that for starters, The bike is not keeping up supplying fuel compared to how much gas it needs to run.

I also noticed the vacuum line is probably too long and is getting pinched between the engine and the petcock. I think that is the next thing I'm going to look at, before diving farther into the engine.

Gypsyjuggler

Comment

Working...
                  X