1980 gs-450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs-450

i had the bike turning over with the old battery it was bad put a new one in and now it won`t turn over. i have checked the starter with a test light when i turn it on i have power to it and when i pull the cluch and push the starter button the light gets brighter but will not turn over can someone tell me what is wrong please richard.

Take your starter out and test it with no load. Then clean it. Dirty insides is a very typical problem for these 25+ year-old bikes. See other posts about this.

Comment

would that cause a short ie the wiring i found out with the test light that if i run it to ground and pull in the cluch and hit the start button that it lights up. or i still have a wiring problem where i reatached the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by rlh01 View Post
        would that cause a short ie the wiring i found out with the test light that if i run it to ground and pull in the cluch and hit the start button that it lights up. or i still have a wiring problem where i reatached the wires.
        I don't know which wire you're talking about, but if the test light only lights up when you press the starter button that's a GOOD sign. That means there's no short when the button is NOT pressed.

BUT, you still haven't attempted to test the starter itself when disconnected from the bike altogether. You need to isolate each circuit.
        Please don't be insulted: If you know what you're doing then this can be done with everything still on the bike, but for someone who's a novice in testing circuits with a multimeter, it becomes clearer to him/her what exactly he/she is testing when it's isolated.

Also: Have you searched other posts about starter problems? - been discussed a million times - good info in those posts.

Comment

i found the problem with the bike not turning over i had the rectifer and the ignitor grounded togather i changed that and now it turns over.thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X