Remove the fuses to test? 81 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove the fuses to test? 81 GS850

Thanks to everyone's previous posts and expert answers and The Stator Papers, I've come to the conclusion that my regulator/rectifier is inop and I've ordered one from the folks recommended in The Stator Papers.

But I have a question about one of the tests in my Clymer manual. The first test is to measure battery voltage @ 5k rpm, after "remove the 2 center fuses." Now my 81 GS850G has 5 fuses, making it tough to remove the "center two" since there is one in the center of five. Also, the center fuse is either the Ignition of Main fuse, removing it (or both) renders the entire system dead and not startable.

So what gives? What did the writers intend here, since there is no "2 center fuses"?

I did complete the no-load alternator output test and have plenty of voltage across each connection per the manual, so my understanding is that connections, grounds and a r/r are in order.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

the 79 model has only 4 fuses
    two outer ones are "main" and "ignition"
    they stay in for the test
    the other two you take out

maybe this helps?
    GS850GT

Comment

Helps to have all the wires hooked up!

Well I ordered a new R/R and am waiting for it to arrive but tonight I think I found the problem. I left the ground wire for the R/R off the wire panel when I put everything back together earlier in the winter.

Hooked it up and now have 13+ volts at idle and 12.5+ volts revved up, which seems a little backwards but its always over 12 so I think I'm ok.

Comment

It talks about it a little in the stator papers

Read this it might save you some money, and aspirin for that matter.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfaq.htm#starts%20to%20drop%20down

Comment

its normal for the voltage to drop when revs are increased

Comment

Working...
          X