Spark plug cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug cap

Somehow I damaged one of the spark plug cover caps on my 82 GS 850 GL. Is there an aftermarket product, say from NGK, that I could use or do I have to go with stock or what?

I found this http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/Resistor_Covers.pdf online but can't tell which one I need. I'm pretty sure it's a 120 degree cap, but what is the resistance, thread size, etc.

Call Jeff http://www.z1enterprises.com/ he'll sort you out.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Call Jeff http://www.z1enterprises.com/ he'll sort you out.

Dan
      Thanks. I was hoping to find something local. Can't wait, seeing how riding season is here now.

Comment

When I was looking into it Jeff told me any of these would do the trick... you just need to pick the right angle.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?All=True&KeyWords=plug%20cap

Pretty sure ours is 14mm so this should be the one for you...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Guess you can use that spec or part number to get the same thing locally....

Dan
        Last edited by salty_monk; 05-07-2007, 03:25 PM.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks again. If I can't find it locally I'll call Jeff.

Comment

If you still have stock coils too, why don't you change the coils & wires to the Dynatek stuff? You know how weak the stock Suzuki coils are. I guarantee the bike will start easier & run cleaner! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              If you still have stock coils too, why don't you change the coils & wires to the Dynatek stuff? You know how weak the stock Suzuki coils are. I guarantee the bike will start easier & run cleaner! Ray.
              hi there
              i'm interested in these
              do you maybe have a website link to someone who sells them?
              cheers
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                hi there
                i'm interested in these
                do you maybe have a website link to someone who sells them?
                cheers
                Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My local dealer is closed Mondays, and I didn't want to miss riding to work tomorrow, let alone my afternoon ride today, so I called around and found them at a shop about 25 miles away.

So I caged it up there and back after work. Put the new ones on and went for a nice hour long test ride. Made sure everything ran ok, shifting at red line up through the gears on the highway \\/ , then up and down alot in a short little twisty loop near home. Everything was A-OK. :-D

Amazing how bad the bike runs with only 3 cylinders firing. I couldn't tell what was going on at first. :? Stalled all the time, no top end, seemed staved for air or gas or something. I thought I had a carb or air filter problem.

I'll look into the new coils and wires next. Seems like an easy enough job, just got to pull the tank, right?

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    The same problem with cracked wires I was having.
                    Went to Z1 , got the new green Dynas and Hot Damn.
                    What a great day it was

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                    I'll look into the new coils and wires next. Seems like an easy enough job, just got to pull the tank, right?
                    Pull the tank, unbolt the old ones, place the new ones, measure and cut the new wires, put in new plugs( why not??? you're there) and voila........

I think mine cost like $115-125 total and about an hour's time.
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Awesome, doesn't sound bad at all. I already have new plugs, so it'd be just coils and wire.

I've got to rebuild my replacement forks and install my new Progressive rear shocks and then I'll be all set, for now. Already did the oil and filters this past weekend.

Comment

Im getting ready to get coils, do I still need to run the spark plug cap? or can I go directly to the spark plug from the cable?

Comment

You'll need some kind of cap. Doesn't have to be resistor cap. The Dyna wires come with moulded caps.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            ...Doesn't have to be resistor cap...
                            Unless you have a radio on your bike. Then you'd hear the high pitch whine of your electrical system over the radio. The resistor caps cut out a lot of the interference.

Comment

I bought the Dyna solid core wires, not worried about any radio crap

Comment

Working...
                              X