Ignition Problem 1980 ET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Problem 1980 ET

I have a strange problem with my 1980 GSX 1100 ET. I have very little or no spark. Last week on the way to work, the bike suddenly lost power. That night, I changed the sparkplugs and noticed No. 2 was very fouled. Put the new plugs in and bike still had no power. I took out each plug and checked the spark and found there was very little or none. I have since replaced the coils and the activator and it has made no difference. The pickups on the crank are within spec.

Before I rewire the ignition, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Russell

With the ignition switched on, but the bike not running, headlight on, I would check voltage level going to the coil terminals. Should be an orange/white wire on each coil. It should be more or less showing 12.5 volts.

E.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have checked the voltage and it is 11.9 volts. I have also checked the voltage at the Activator and it is the same. I believe they are on the same circuit. The battery, however, is 12.3 volts.

R

Comment

12.3 is close to a dead battery. My first thought is you need a new battery.
        There really isnt (that I know of) a reliable way to check an ignition system without having a normal charge level in the battery. At 12.3 volts and an old battery, you may simply not have the electrical capacity to power the system.

E.

Originally posted by Russell Clark View Post
        I have checked the voltage and it is 11.9 volts. I have also checked the voltage at the Activator and it is the same. I believe they are on the same circuit. The battery, however, is 12.3 volts.

R
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The battery is only a couple of months old, but I charged it it up and now the voltage is 12.97 volts. I traced all the wires and checked for breakages and rubbing, and cleaned all the connectors.

I now get the same voltage at the battery, coils and at the ativator power. I have to disconnect the activator, otherwise the coils give a lower reading.

The spark is more powerfull now, but I still think it could be better.

I will see how it runs on the road.

Russell

Comment

I think you may have a charging system problem. Either the rectifier/regulator or the stator. The battery is not charging so it will run down and then die. If #2 was fouled bad, you may also have a leaky petcock. The gas may be running down the vacuum line and fouling it out. Check that also.

Comment

I will check those on the weekend.

Russell

Comment

I have checked the charging system and it is within spec. There was a small leak in the petcock as you suggested, so I replaced it with a Katana one from the wreckers. Thanks for that tip.

I also removed the fuse holder and cleaned all the terminals. There was a lot of corrosion and road grime behind the holder and in and around the connectors.

The bike seems to run OK now, but I will keep an eye on the charging system and wiring.

I have also asked for this thread to be moved to the technical section.

Russell

Comment

Working...
                X