Sticking throttle - spring isn't pulling back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking throttle - spring isn't pulling back

I just cleaned my carbs... was careful to reassemble everything just as I had taken it apart... my throttle now has no "return" play in it.

The spring is attached and doesn't seem to be hung up on anything...

it stretches fine but does not seem to pull back... any ideas??

Thank you in advance!

First disconnect the throttle cable from the carb mechanism and see if the carbs return to closed position after opening them manually.

Comment

Sticking Throttle

hmmm.... thanks Scotty!

I guess I am not sure how to go about doing that... must I pull the carbs out again or is there a way to do that without pulling the airbox and carbs off the bike again??

thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by AmGr8ful View Post
        hmmm.... thanks Scotty!

I guess I am not sure how to go about doing that... must I pull the carbs out again or is there a way to do that without pulling the airbox and carbs off the bike again??

thank you in advance
        I think it is rather easily done by removing the tank. I would go look for you but i no longer have the stock carbs. There are plenty of folks that can tell you. I seem to remember it is quite simple. Ill bet that you crunched the cable when re installing the carbs

Comment

crunched cables...

perhaps I did... but everything looks straight and clean and when I turn the throttle handle, everything pulls as it should... just isn't snapping back.

I will take a look tonight and inspect the cable from top to bottom

thanks Scotty

Comment

Why isnt someone helping him?????????

Comment

Originally posted by AmGr8ful View Post
              perhaps I did... but everything looks straight and clean and when I turn the throttle handle, everything pulls as it should... just isn't snapping back.

I will take a look tonight and inspect the cable from top to bottom

thanks Scotty
              do you have a haynes or a clymers. --im looking in my book now. if i find something ill email it it you/

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Il try to post a picture of the scanned jpeg

I dont know why it didnt work?????

Comment

I got the pic Scotty...

thank you bro!! I really appreciate your effort.

I will inspect the cable tonight. :-D

Comment

Has anyone mentioned what model bike we are talking about?

On mine, I can disconnect the throttle cable at the carbs, with them installed and the tank off, but it's a real hassle. I can also work on the throttle cable bracket with the tank off. Scotty is right, the springs on the carb's throttle valve are what provide the spring, and they should snap back easily.

If the lower end of the throttle cable housing is not retained in the fork of the throttle cable bracket, attatched to the top of the #3 carb, I don't think the throttle plates will open or close. There will be too much slack in the cable. I don't know how yours feel exactly, but I would check this.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X